O'Day 222 Compression Post Cracked

May 7, 2016
O'Day 222 Dubuque, IA
I had wondered the same thing - in my mind it would be more vertical force... If you are ever in Dubuque visiting your brother Kevin - stop and see the Optical Illusion! Would be interesting to discuss any differences in our boats.

Apr 1, 2015
Oday 222 Lake Calhoun, Minneapolis
It would be an accidental advantage if so; I was only thinking of my noggin!
I have walked by & peered around at the dock. So I'd enjoy that!:)

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Testing the pressures at the mast step and how best to deal with them would be an interesting project. Best done in the lab. EyeSail, what a great job on your project. Your angle brks. to replace the lag screws on the backside of the post should be a big improvement as well beefing up the post. "Destructive testing" proved the lag screw holes to be a point of failure. It also shows that we need to be very careful when changing a load from one area to another.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I feel certain your shrouds had been too tight; maybe a chicken & egg situation (as they would loosen as the deck sagged, & you would adjust them, sagging the deck, etc, etc.). In your case, I would feel OK with finishing the season with a sistered comp post; as long as the sag is addressed. Either wood or possibly a piece of SS flat or angle from the likes of Grainger or McMaster-Carr. Since it's temp and freshwater, not critical it be SS. Of course a new one is definitely in order!
I have some experience in this area, replacing rotted ply core under the mast. Have sent the info to my brother whom you know. Meant to post the work here but don't think I ever got to it. Phone pics have since gone to the bottom of the lake, so I'll just post links to the main elements from Trailersailor.com. -Rick
http://forum.trailersailor.com/post.php?id=1405862
http://forum.trailersailor.com/post.php?id=1407873
http://forum.trailersailor.com/post.php?id=1409962
Nice bit of engineering.
V222 Mast Support.jpg

May 7, 2016
O'Day 222 Dubuque, IA
Thanks to a previous owner who fabricated me a new compression post and loaned his help and hydraulic jack, the boat should last another 32 years! It only took me most of today and three trips to Lowe's/Ace Hardware to put everything back in order.
I took the dry dock time to replace the T-molding around the sink and put in new water lines. I also had it put on a lift and dealt with the pound of zebra mussels jamming up the centerboard trunk and replaced the almost worn through pendant. What is better to prevent them - raise the centerboard when docked, or leave it down?
IMG_0931.jpg IMG_0944.jpg IMG_0955.jpg IMG_0956.jpg IMG_0961.jpg IMG_0964.jpg
Now to launch it and raise the mast before it gets too hot tomorrow...
Thanks for all the input and help on this project! Fair winds!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
What did you use for the CB pendant?
Rick, I replaced mine in the 192 with the pendant that Rudy sells at drmarine.com. I think it was a good choice because it comes with the long, tapered Wichard (I think) shackle which fits perfectly into the hole on the centerboard. Has 5/16" Sta-set polyester double braid spliced nicely to the shackle. There's no unnecessary play.

Apr 1, 2015
Oday 222 Lake Calhoun, Minneapolis
Looks good Brian. I've just started noticing c/b clunk and might get around to looking at the wedges and pin. Also believe I have some weeds caught up inside which in lieu of pulling are best addressed on the water with my handy "plastic sawtooth on a pole(tm)" which helped with the Ensenada's proclivity for harvesting weeds. Pulling for trip to Lake Pepin. Trailer axle is right in the way of the board, though, so it's not a quickie.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Looks good Brian. I've just started noticing c/b clunk and might get around to looking at the wedges and pin. Also believe I have some weeds caught up inside which in lieu of pulling are best addressed on the water with my handy "plastic sawtooth on a pole(tm)" which helped with the Ensenada's proclivity for harvesting weeds. Pulling for trip to Lake Pepin. Trailer axle is right in the way of the board, though, so it's not a quickie.
If I leave the board down, and I get boat wakes, say on anchor, it'll clunk. When she's not sailing, I pull the board up, like in the slip, on the hook, etc. I am conveniently not worrying about the wedges and pin, though I do have a friend with a lift that could make replacement do-able, but it's not that high a lift, so I'd be laying on the ground to do it.

I'd love to see your "plastic sawtooth on a pole™" I tried to clear weeds with my boathook with no success. I usually put on the swim goggles and have a dive, which becomes less appetizing in October, even with the wetsuit. One time I had weeds, so I motored out to the middle of the lake (there's not too much I hate more than swimming under the docks. Creeps me the hell out.) Donchaknow the slow motor let all the milfoil untangle itself? I pulled off only like 2 pieces! Doh!

May 7, 2016
O'Day 222 Dubuque, IA
I ordered a pendant from D&R Marine - the shackle wasn't even close to long enough and I had to enlarge the eye to attach the old shackle, so hopefully it will hold up for a few years. The last one was probably about 12-15 years old and very frayed! I sent Rudy the photos, but I'm not sure what other 222 centerboard shackles look like. Next time, I might just make my own spliced line since I wouldn't need a new shackle.IMG_0933.jpg

May 7, 2016
O'Day 222 Dubuque, IA
Mine is also a 1986. That looks closer in size to mine, but I suppose there are several shackle sizes out there with different vintages...