O'day 222 - 1988 - Purchase pending - Price ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John & Andrea

We are beginners at sailing and interested in purchasing our first boat. We have fell in love with a 1988 222 O'Day that is in "like new" condition. It has obviously been well cared for and seems a good size to begin with. It needs no repair other than maybe a little polish on the exterior wood trim. It has a 1999 Nissan 5hp outboard, bimini in excellent condition, radial head drifter, depth finder, VHF, stereo, port-o-potty, sink, upholstery and interior like new. It has 6 month old bottom paint, new gel coat on deck, no apparent cracks or crazing.It also had all the standard sails and another spinnaker-type colorful one that I cannot remember the proper name for. The interior was clean, dry, no mold or odors. This is the second owner. Any idea on whether this is a fair price for this boat - $4900 - should we make an offer? Any type of site to get pricing guidelines for O'Day Sailboats?

D

Don Evans

From A Canadian Perspective...Its A Steal

You American buyers don't know how good you have it with regards to selection and pricing. An 88 OD222 in bristol condition, in Canada would be at least 2K more. You did not say if a trailor came with the package. If it did its an absolute steal. Without, its still a dam good deal. It must have been one of the last 222's out the O'Day door. To see its value go to www.bucvalu.com, and enter the particulars to get a quote. I think you might be pleasantly surprised. Incidentally, a great first boat. Get out your check book. Don

J

Justin - O'day Owners'Web

valuation

Bucnet values the boat you describe at $6150. Nada says $6500. These can vary wildley from area to are and from season to season but it looks like you've found a great deal. If you think you want to go ahead with it, I would recommend having it surveyed, though. A couple hundred bucks now is cheap insurance. Justin - O'day Owners'Web

L

LRPellett@aol.com

O'Day 222 purchase

I have a 1984 222 and would expect to get at least what you are contemplating specnding so, in my opinion, the price seems fair. The 222 is a fast and responsive boat so you will enjoy it. Some of the stock fittings are cheap and you will want to upgrade some over time.

A

Andrea & John

thanks for advice-1988 Oday 222 Purchased!!!!

A big thank you to all who responded so quickly and confidently about our pending purchase of the 1988 O'Day 222. It gave us just the little push we needed to make our decision final. We are, needless to say, estatic over our first purchase. We will be back here again in no time for further advice. Bringing her home sometime soon to her slip in Treasure Island, FL. Love to hear from any beginner or seasoned sailors in this area. Our e-mails are: rkaeru2@excite.com and jdorowski@msn.com. Thank you all for your words of advice once again. Good to know there are people like you nearby!

T

Trevor

Congratulations!

Let us know how your "maiden voyage" goes! Trevor

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Congrats!

Congrats!! I have not known anyone to be unhappy with the purchase of an O'day; you won't be the first one, either. Let us know how the first sail goes, and as your questions arise, hit us with them. Sail safe, Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Status
Not open for further replies.