O'Day 20 - new member

Jan 4, 2022
O'Day 20 Concord
I just wanted to say Hi. I bought a 73 O'Day 20 yesterday, looking to learn more about the boat. I mostly sailed Ericson 36 and MacGregor 26D in the past, so this little boat is very exciting in that it feels like a proper cruiser, yet so small. Any suggestions about it? Problem spots to watch out for? The boat looks very solid. I haven't setup the rigging yet, but all should be in proper working order. Oh, it's missing the flat hand crank for the winch, but in this size probably no big deal to do it by hand. If anyone has one lying around, i'd like to buy it. Thanks!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Welcome to SBO.
There is an owner review page accessible thru Home page>Owner resources>downloads by brand. Worth a look.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Congrats, O'Days are great boats - the biggest concern with them is moisture in the deck core. Holes in the deck were not epoxy potted or beveled and sealed with silicone which fails eventually. If you haven't already, sound out the deck with a plastic/brass hammer to see if it is solid and buy/borrow a moisture meter to see if you have high moisture content anywhere. If you find issues, there's lots of info here on how to address them. Plan on removing and potting and bedding the deck hardware when you can to ensure it will last a long time.

Jan 4, 2022
O'Day 20 Concord
Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes, comments and suggestions! I read the boat reviews, very helpful. Will take a look at the spreaders as they seem to be the problem on these boats. Moisture situation will be also checked, thank you for the suggestion. Excited to get her on the water in a couple of months once it get a little warmer.