O'Day 20 in Narragansett and Buzzard Bays

Jul 18, 2021
O'Day Javelin Webster Lake
Hi All,
I just bought an O'day 20 and have it on Webster Lake for the most part. I'm considering taking it out for a few tours next summer, just me at first. I was thinking out to Block Island and back or out to Cuttyhunk/Naushon.
Obviously it isn't the largest of boats but would an O'day 20 cope with the typical chop you get out there? I'd want to be sailing and not motoring. I have a 46lb thrust trolling motor and fixing up a 6HP johnson seahorse so maybe would have that.
Any other small overnight cruises people would recommend?

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Depending on where you launch I think sailing to BI is about a 4 hour sail. In the afternoon you can expect a sea breeze of 15 to 18 knots from the SW. So you'd be sailing into a chop of maybe 3 feet which your boat should handle. I'm not sure being alone is the best course since if anything goes wrong it'll be all on you to deal with it. Have a way to tie off the tiller, or auto pilot, a GPS, hatch boards good communications and learn how to heave to. I note you don't have life lines so a harness and jack lines would be important.
But, yes you can do it. Remember there's probably only 10 miles between Pt. Judith and 1BI which I would consider open water. Watch out for fog and try to travel with the current.
The trip to Cuttyhunk is about 20 miles but you would be traveling on a reach both ways in the afternoon sea breeze. It might be more enjoyable sailing. Going East there is Stonington, West Harbor of Fisher's Island or Mystic.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Depends where you launch from - there's a public ramp in Westport, MA (at the head of Westport Harbor) that gets you about 8 miles from Cuttyhunk and it's usually a nice reach the whole way. I would suggest you try Cuttyhunk first as going to Block Island is a little more serious - farther and more exposed. From Westport to Cuttyhunk you will always be in sight of land unless visibility is poor.
And, as far as the chop, it depends on the day - if winds are under 20 knots you should be Ok. You might want to just take a casual day sail to see what it's like before trying to get to Cuttyhunk. Also, you need to be aware of the currents in the area - they are pretty strong (tide is minimal however) and dictate where you should go (don't fight 'em unless you have to). You'll want a copy of Eldridge's tide and pilot book which shows all the currents: ELDRIDGE Tide and Pilot Book

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021
O'Day Javelin Webster Lake
Great thanks, any ideas if that ramp has overnight parking? But yeah for sure will be trying a day sail or two first.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I don't think they allow overnight anymore (they now charge $5.00 day too). Not sure where a good ramp with overnight parking is in that area.
You might be able to make a deal with Tripp's Marina, which is just up the street from the ramp, to park your truck and trailer - they're nice people and have lots of room.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
We sailed our CAL 21, very similar to hte O'DAY 20, from Wareham to Hadley's Harbor (Naushon Island) a few times for overnight "cruises", did Cuttyhunk twice, and my Dad and I even went to Oak Bluffs on Marthas Vineyard once when I was around 13 or 14. We actually purchased that boat from a Dealer in Cranston, RI in 1970 and my Dad and a friend sailed her over to Wareham, where we were going to moor her. If you did go to Cuttyhunk, be aware that the Westport River has some wicked currents that may make using the ramp exciting! Although a little further from Cuttyhunk, a better launch ramp might be the one in Padanaram (South Dartmouth), I am not sure, but think that overnight parking may be allowed there?? I used to know someone that owned a 1977 O'DAY 20 and kept her at Brewers Sakonnet Marine in Portsmouth (now Safe Harbors Portsmouth , I think), they sailed all around that area, I don't think they ever went to Block Island, but did go to Newport a couple of times.