Oday 192

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron Anderson

I have a 1985 Oday192( which I love!. It has a shoal keel about 6' long and a swing keel/centerboard( I'm not sure what to call it), nested in the keel. I can't find where the centerboard hinges. I don't see any obvious hinge pin locations on the shoal keel. I want to drop it to clean and bottom paint it, and, to clean and paint the box it nests in. An additional problem is that my trailer interferes with dropping or swinging the centerboard. ALL SUGGESTIONS OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Ron - I've never pulled the board on a 192, so I don't have firsthand information on that score - call Rudy Nickerson, he may know. As far as the trailer goes, build a cradle to hold the aft end of the boat or buy some jackstands. Back the trailer up to a solid tree or telephone pole. Tie a stout line from the tree to the boat and pull the trailer forward a few feet. Make sure you remember to release the bow line. With the aft end of the boat now over space, position the cradle under it to support it. Pull the trailer forward enough to access the blade. Block up the front of the boat - DO NOT TRUST THE TRAILER NOT TO ROLL. Go to work. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

W

Walt Pierce

Consider using a boat dealers hoist!

Nearby the family retreat where I keep my Mariner is a boat dealer who has a hoist to remove boats from trucks or to change trailers, etc. For $25 he lifted the boat, put a stand under it should the hoist fail and I lowered the board to wire brush and paint it. I also painted the stripes left in the bottom coat that I couldn't paint while the boat was on the trailer. To me it was much easier than pulling the boat back off the trailer and digging a hole for the board. Check the boat dealers in your area. They would probably be glad to make a few bucks in this idle season.

R

Ron Anderson

consider using a boat dealers hoist

I should have noted that I'm cheap and/or on limited funds. In my neck of the woods yards and dealers don't even say hello for less then $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.