O’Day 192 Z Spars Parts

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
7FCFB3CE-10DF-4D4E-A934-70DF058995EB.jpeg

I’m piecing my 1988 192 rig together and need to work on 3 things. The boat has a full Z Spar setup (mast and boom) and I need some parts. Anyone know where to find part diagrams or a part number list? D&R has all the Dwyer parts listed but they’re not compatible with the Z Spar setup. Rig Rite has a ton of Z Spar part numbers but I don’t know what I actually need.

#1: Spreader - Looks like someone dropped the mast because the starboard spreader is bent a the spreader bracket. I worked some of the bend out but ultimately I’d like to replace it.

#2: Outboard boom end sheaves - The end of the Z Spar boom has a spot for 3 sheaves so you can run the reefing system / outhaul internally in the boom. Problem is that those sheaves and pin are missing.

#3: Mast Hinge - The previous owner made their own hinge out of super heavy duty stainless steel. Only problem is that the tolerances are so tight I ended up bending it raising the mast the first time. So I’m either going to get a local welder to modify the home made hinge or go back to the original Z Spar hinge.

I’m sort of considering a building a new setup using all Dwyer parts next year depending on how this goes.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
We offer Z-spar parts, but I don't have data for the ODays. Can you send a picture of the mast base and gooseneck area? If the rig is down, there should be a casting number on the mast base attached to the boat. Give me a call if you'd like, I'm here from 9-3:30 Pacific. 877-932-7245 x116

Sharp lookin' boat!

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
We offer Z-spar parts, but I don't have data for the ODays. Can you send a picture of the mast base and gooseneck area? If the rig is down, there should be a casting number on the mast base attached to the boat. Give me a call if you'd like, I'm here from 9-3:30 Pacific. 877-932-7245 x116

Sharp lookin' boat!
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately the previous owner removed the original mast base. I think he said it’s in the boat somewhere so I’ll have to dig around and hope it’s there.

I’ll try to get some pictures of what I have tomorrow and give you a call.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
There's a casting number stamp in the mast foot too, likely riveted in there though, but not a huge deal to remove and then put back.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
There's a casting number stamp in the mast foot too, likely riveted in there though, but not a huge deal to remove and then put back.
Just realized there is a pile of receipts in the paperwork that came with the boat. In that pile is a receipt from the port side spreader that was replaced years ago.

The spreader I need is a Z10 tapered 26” long.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I can tell you for sure that Z-Spars (and Rigrite) no longer have the same mast base with sheaves built in. Rigrite sells a different foot and deck plate that has holes for blocks like a mast base organizer, and a Starboard spacer to make the height the same as the old mast base. I know this because a few years ago I helped a friend replace his damaged foot. I looked up an email from my buddy (5 years ago now!) and said he measured and his 192 had the Z145 mast section. This is the info he copied from the Rigrite site and sent to me:

http://rigrite.com/Spars/Zspar/Z-Mast_steps_hinged.html#Mast_Foot_Replacement_Kit_Sm

Z-3273, for halyards cleated on the Mast. For each halyard that was led through the Old-Style Mast Foot to the deck, an Exit Plate, Z-3273, and a Turning Block, Z-261, Z-272, or Z-300, or Z-300SA Block Stud will be required (order separately). Attaches to deck with (4) 6mm (1/4") FH screws using original hole spacing. To order, specify Mast Section.

You might try and call D&R and see if Rudy knows about that spreader. On the other hand, you could also call Rigrite, but sometimes they get annoyed discussing parts on the phone, at least once or twice when I had to replace parts on my old Harpoon rig.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
Yea I’ve dealt with Rigrite in the past with mixed results. Thanks a bunch for the info. I think I’m going to try to reinforce the home made step that’s on there and order a new spreader. The home brewed step is massively overbuilt but of the tolerances on it are extremely tight and I bent it because the mast was about 1/32” too far to one side while trying to raise it.

Here’s some pictures of the step. All stainless steel.

1501F882-AFCD-47D8-85AB-A047A709FBAC.jpeg
BCB51D2A-26DA-4F09-B1BF-49C0932FC41A.jpeg

Maybe I’ll make a new mast / step using all Dwyer as a winter project.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
Ok so after many phone calls and a bit of research, I decided to straighten the Z Spar spreader that was on the boat for now.

RigRite wanted almost $200 for a single spreader.

If you need a spreader that’s compatible with the Z Spar mast then you can switch in a spreader from Selden Mast. Their extrusion is only 25” long but they sell adjustable spreader tips that will get you out to the needed 26”. A pair of the Selden spreaders was far less that the single spreader from RigRite.

Heading to a machine shop tomorrow to see if they can straighten out my mast base.

Also found that my chainplates were loose on the deck. Popped them off and found that the holes through the deck were way oversized and leaking water into the cabin.

1BC16F34-93D2-4447-B085-481443D32A33.jpeg

Filled them with thickened epoxy today and will re drill them tomorrow plus seal with some fresh butyl tape.

64B917DC-0FDF-4D2F-BC38-48C43B59BA17.jpeg