O'day 192 halyards to mast set up

May 30, 2018
O'day 192 St Augustine, FL
Hello all, I'm new to sailing and just bought a 192 that appears to be in great shape. I have the original manual for this boat, but it only refers to how to raise the sails, not how to rig the halyards themselves up the mast. For the main, is the halyard interior on the original masts? If so, I dont see where it could exit on the lower end of the mast to feed it onto the winch. If they arent interior then it looks like my masthead is the wrong one as the masthead doesnt extend far enough out to support an exterior halyard. And for the jib, it looks like the halyard should be routed through a sheave/small block that is attached to the exterior of the mast just below the backstay attachment. Is this the correct rigging?
Any insight would be most helpful!

Thanks,
Robin
St Augustine

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Some of the 192s had internal halyards, the ones with the Z-Spar mast. there should be sheaves built into the bottom of the mast to lead the halyards out (at least main halyard?). The Jib Halyard should run through a block on the forward side of the mast, just below where the FORESTAY attaches. I have a few pics of the Z-Spar mast, the mast butt pic shows how the halyards exit. The pic labeled 7-3-2012wiring shows another view of the mast base, although no halyard visible. These are pictures that I've found on-line, not my own boat.

Attachments

May 30, 2018
Thank you for the reply. I had not seen that particular brochure before...a good one for my boat year!
Robin

May 30, 2018
Thanks for the info Sunbird. This is very helpful. The block for my jib is actually below the forestay, as you noted. Knowing what the mast base is supposed to look like convinces me that I have an external main halyard, and not the Z spar mast. I believe that the PO put on the wrong type of masthead just before selling the boat (he didn't sail much, and the masthead looks recently altered) so I will need to figure out the correct mast type and buy a masthead that matches it.

May 30, 2018
I figured it out. The main halyard goes around two sheaves on the masthead, one aft and one forward. I thought the forward sheave would be for an internal jib halyard. Shoosh, rookie thinking!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I figured it out. The main halyard goes around two sheaves on the masthead, one aft and one forward. I thought the forward sheave would be for an internal jib halyard. Shoosh, rookie thinking!
Sounds like you have the oval shaped extrusion of a Dwyer mast, and the halyards are external for a Dwyer mast. Sorry I didn't see this post sooner, let me know if you have other rigging questions. I have a Dwyer mast, but I've also worked on a friend's boat with the Z-Spars mast.