O'Day 19 Drains and Windows

GerryG

Sep 16, 2018
O'Day 19 Bayport, NY
I just purchased a 1982 O'Day 19. There was about a half gallon of water sloshing around the inside cabin floor. There have been heavy rains lately here and one of the windows in the hatch cover has a small leak, so some sealant is in order, but I wonder if there is something I should do to clear the drains holes in there. It didn't seem to be draining well. I know in my car, I've cleared the drains in the sunroof, etc, by using compressed air blasted into the drain. Is that an appropriate approach? This is my first boat, so I don't want to screw something up.
Any recommendations on sealing the window? It seems like a simple unscrew, scrape and reseal and screw proposition. Am I on the right track on that?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 13, 2018
O'Day 19 Rexford, NY
Got any pics? My '79 19' Weekender doesn't have any windows in the hatch cover. Can't promise I'll be of much assistance suggesting sealing methods, but it can't hurt to have some more sets of eyes looking at it... and at the least, it might give me some ideas into getting more light into my cabin. It's dark in there when everything's closed up :yikes:.

Oh, and check the bilge. If the boat's leaning a bit forward, it's likely that any water in the bilge is gonna drain up into the cabin if it gets high enough. Mine was pretty abused when I bought it. The hose for the cockpit drain was nonexistent, and there was a lot of water in the hull... enough to cover the cabin in ice. I was taking four inch thick chunks of it out before I transported it last April (was a cold April in the Adirondacks, too...)

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
There was about a half gallon of water sloshing around the inside cabin floor. There have been heavy rains lately here and one of the windows in the hatch cover has a small leak, so some sealant is in order, but I wonder if there is something I should do to clear the drains holes in there. It didn't seem to be draining well.

'inside cabin floor'? -- Is that on the surface that you walk on, or is it in the bilge?

Is the water salty (from LI Sound) or is it "fresh"?

Take dry paper towels and lay them or tape them in various places to see if you can deduce where the water is coming from.

Pictures would help.

GerryG

Sep 16, 2018
O'Day 19 Bayport, NY
Oh, and check the bilge. If the boat's leaning a bit forward, it's likely that any water in the bilge is gonna drain up into the cabin if it gets high enough.
I am going to try to check the bilge on Sunday. I don't really know how to check the bilge, though. Is that what those caps that are about 3 inches round get to? It is in my driveway, which is sloped, so the bow is lower than if parked on flat ground. I'll try to get some photos for you. All help appreciated. Thanks.

GerryG

Sep 16, 2018
O'Day 19 Bayport, NY
'inside cabin floor'? -- Is that on the surface that you walk on, or is it in the bilge?
Is the water salty (from LI Sound) or is it "fresh"?
Pictures would help.
It's the surface you walk on. I'm not sure how to check the bilge. There also was some under the storage in the cockpit. It seemed a bit salty.
I'll try for photos on Sunday and post them. Thanks for the response.

Apr 13, 2018
O'Day 19 Rexford, NY
There's a hatch built into the starboard cockpit seat that opens up into the hull; looking into it and towards the center of the boat, there's a bit of a depression that runs the length of the hull. Since that's the deepest part of the hull, and it's on the interior of the hull, I'm calling that the bilge. It's certainly not a bit of the boat I'm going to use for storage or anything else, at least :cool:.

There are two holes in the cabin, near amidships, right where you step down from the cockpit. Far as I can tell, those drain straight to the bilge. When I was draining mine after the ice damage from this past winter (cursing the previous owner left and right), I noticed that having the boat slanted forward definitely did not help water drain from underneath the cabin and into the bilge. You might want to make sure the wheels are chocked, then jack up the front of the trailer. Keep an eye on the bilge under the cockpit via that hatch, and you should be able to tell when water's flowing, if there was any under the cabin. Make sure it's well supported, too... I don't trust those wheeled trailer jacks much.

GerryG

Sep 16, 2018
O'Day 19 Bayport, NY
So, I'm going to reply to this 2 year old thread with some information and what I've learned for the sake of reference. Looking back, I was quite green. Now I'm just sorta teal, but with 2 seasons under my belt, I've got a much better idea what I'm doing. So, we trailer sailed the boat in the summer of 19. Midway through that season, we took some friends out with us and found that with the boat sitting low in the water, we were picking up a ton of water in the bilge, and draining into the cabin. I realized that the cockpit drain was sitting below the water level and so then checked the cockpit drain tube, which, it turns out, had failed on the underside and was the culprit. We replaced both the drain hose and the through hull fitting, sealed with 5200 and it has been perfect since. At the end of the season, it was clear that the deck fittings needed to be resealed so this spring, we rebedded everything with butyl tape and had the windows on the hatch removed, replaced and resealed. It turns out those still have a drip in them, but everything else has been great.

We had the boat in a slip in Bayport on the Great South Bay from May until mid November. The bilge was pretty much dry all year and only had a little moisture after pretty heavy rain. I think that problem is from the 4" deck plate in the cockpit floor not having a gasket in it. I've got a replacement that I'll put in this winter or next spring. The small amount of water, (about a gallon) in the bilge that came forward when I backed the boat into my sloped driveway a week ago was easily removed by sticking my shop vac nozzle into the bilge. It's now bone dry.

I'm going to remove and reseal the cabin port lights this winter and reseal the small drip in the hatch window, and we should be good to go. Rudy at DR Marine suggested sealing spider cracks in the gelcoat of the cockpit seats and floor with clear epoxy, which I will likely do as well.

This summer, at the end of August, the centerboard uphaul wore out so that I couldn't bring it all the way up or let it all the way down. The outer jacket on the line was bunched up above and below, so we hauled it out and by jacking the boat up off of the trailer, were able to drop the center board and replace the line. If you ever do this, the line that comes from DR Marine is about 5 feet too long, and when I let it out the first time after relaunch, the line went all the way out and wrapped around the centerboard. I didn't realize it at the time, and it caused the board to wedge in the trunk. Luckily, when I realized, I had a tail wind and decent waves, to after a few splashes, it shook loose. We retracted it as far as it would go lightly then anchored behind a jetty on the next mild day and I was able to reach under the boat with my foot while holding the rub rail and guide the line over the end of the centerboard and my wife kept it under tension until I was back onboard. An adventure, but better avoided, I'd say. A word to the wise.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Yes, Rudy sometimes errs on the plus side! But, better 5' too long, then 5" too short! <GRIN!>