ODay 19 Deck under Forestay chain plate damaged

Sep 1, 2019
ODay 19 Ocean City, MD
Hello All,
Taking off the forestay chain plate where there was some damage to the deck and the bolts are a bit loose. Was wondering if I re bed with epoxy, fill in the entire section under the chain plate then re glass the deck section and all should be good to re drill holes for the plate and cleats? Any suggestions are very welcome, thanks

Zeus

Attachments

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Looks like some still loose material in the bow. I'd take advantage or situation and extend bow spirit forward 6" by making a top plate out of 1/4" stainless

Sep 1, 2019
ODay 19 Ocean City, MD
Would bolting and glassing the 1/4” plate be the way to go? I guess I’d be glassing the hull to extend it out as well

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
After thinking about it with those rounded flair rails I'd get aluminum or stainless tubing and extend down hull about 2' maybe 3. Bolting to hull every 6" one on each side till they come together then bolt ends together then put a top plate on that flashing in but use exist tang bolt that in too then attach forstay to bolt in front where tubes come together you may need run a turnbuckle down to bow eye to pull the whole thing down

Sep 1, 2019
ODay 19 Ocean City, MD
Found some 1” aluminum pipe in the garage, going to try that out under the rails and re bed the chain plate bolts then do the 1/4” plate after glassing the front section over. Good call on the pipe under the rails, turn buckle will probably be necessary as well

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
My O'Day 19 had a similar problem but did not have those bolts.

I cut off the defective foredeck area and re-glassed the area.

Then I added a Catalina 22 stem (Stem Fitting with Tang C-22) that had a tang going down the front to give greater strength to the assembly.