Oday 15ft Centerboard rope replacement

Jul 13, 2021
O’Day 15 ft Hudson River
Hey Gang,
I was wondering if anyone had a tip for me. I’m new to sailing and really enjoying it along with the little projects that keep me busy!!! I need to replace the centerboard pull rope on my O'Day 15 as it frayed. My question is, since it is now on the trailer and I do not have boat jacks to lift it up and don't want to try it via snorkeling once it is back in the water does anyone have a tip for replacing this rope. I attaceched some pics of it and from under the boat it does not seem that you can drop it out without cutting the ropes off from the top.
Thanks

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Welcome to the forum.
I don't know your boat so I'm just going to make some general suggestions. I'm assuming that you can drop the centerboard. I think the easiest way to replace the line is from the top down. I would drop it and then bring it up enough to have some line to work with. You can use a vice grip on the line to hold it while you work on the end. Untie the frayed stopper knot, tape a section of good line and cut through the tape to remove the frayed end. Threat the good end with heat or sealant. Sew on your new line end to end. Now you can remove the vice grip and let the line and centerboard down all the way. Then go in the water and cut - don't bother uniting- the line and pull it through being careful to allow it to go thru whatever hardware exists. When you have the new line down to the board, attach it with a knot or whatever method you prefer. Go back to the cockpit (You haven't cut the line there yet) and remove the stainless fitting and do what's necessary to re-seal or re-seat it. You might like to install a jam cleat or some means other than a stopper knot to secure the end, cut and whip the end. It you install a cleat you will add adjustability to the system which is good because there are times when you might like to sail with the board partially down.

Jul 13, 2021
O’Day 15 ft Hudson River
Thanks. do the ropes typically hold it up in there or is there a pivot connected in some fashion that I need to disconnect to lower it, typically?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On a 15' boat I would expect a simple line would hold the centerboard up.
If your centerboard is wood there may be a mechanism to hold it down. The system to hold it down is up to the imagination of the designer. It might be as simple as a line from the front edge of the board to the cockpit thru the centerboard trunk. That may be what the forward circled line is. But I don't really know.
When I had a 15' MFG Bandit and wanted to work on the bottom I would drop it from the trailer on a lawn and turn it over, It weighed 400 lbs. but it wasn't hard for me to turn over because I was never bearing the full weight. Use some fenders for it to land on or delicate places. If you have a helper it's even easier.

Oct 16, 2020
ODay Javelin Bath, NC
I have the same boat. The centerboard has a pivot bolt through it. You would have to remove that to take the centerboard out. It’s easily accessed through the round inspection hatches on each side of the centerboard trunk. Upside down and with a helper is a good idea - it weighs 49 pounds. Realigning it with the pivot bolt hole will be a trick.

The centerboard should have/originally had a stainless steel cable extending from the centerboard itself through the top of the truck. That cable is attached to the rope that is used to raise and lower.

It appears you are also missing the pulleys that give you mechanical advantage to raise the centerboard.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Call Rudy at D and R marine for advice and parts. I doubt anybody that's still alive knows more about O'Day boats than him

Jul 18, 2021
ODay ODay15 Hudson R.
I have the same boat. The centerboard has a pivot bolt through it. You would have to remove that to take the centerboard out. It’s easily accessed through the round inspection hatches on each side of the centerboard trunk. Upside down and with a helper is a good idea - it weighs 49 pounds. Realigning it with the pivot bolt hole will be a trick.

The centerboard should have/originally had a stainless steel cable extending from the centerboard itself through the top of the truck. That cable is attached to the rope that is used to raise and lower.

It appears you are also missing the pulleys that give you mechanical advantage to raise the centerboard.
thanks. Mine does not appear to have inspection hatches. Can you please send me pics of yours? I am in communication with Rudy at DR to see what we can come up with.

Oct 16, 2020
ODay Javelin Bath, NC
thanks. Mine does not appear to have inspection hatches. Can you please send me pics of yours? I am in communication with Rudy at DR to see what we can come up with.
After a closer look and a closer read of your post, I realize I do not have the same boat - mine is a Javelin; I overlooked that yours was an O'Day 15.
I was talking about the white discs in the floor on either side of the centerboard trunk, as seen in the lower right of your second picture. One the Javelin those are right by the C/B pivot. But maybe on the 15 they are not?
1628182566792.png

Last edited: