Ocracoke anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey All

If the weather cooperates, I'll be sailing from Oyster Creek NC to Ocracoke Is. starting on the 15th or 16th (depends upon the weather) and then back to Oyster Creek on the 18th. If you see a tan and brown MacGregor V22 hail me on 16.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Did Ocracoke in a Starwind 223 a few years ago. Got pinned down by weather and had to stay two days longer than planned. Not to many restaurants open and got tired of eating at the same place. Just can handle so many chicken wings and burgers. It was worth it though. Put in at Washington, NC and got to watch the 4th of July fireworks from the municipal docks. Stay out of the way of the ferries and watch for crab traps leaving the mainland.

bria46

Jan 15, 2011
Oday 272 Waukegan, IL, Sarasota, FL
When I looked at your photo, it looked like a badly damaged hull that may have a hole blown thru it. Looks like a bow pointing to the right. Duh, my mistake!

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks Benny

You are right about crab pots...I've sailed in the Pamlico before, just not to Ocracoke so I've dodged my share of crab pots. You have to keep a sharp eye out for them but if I'm lucky it may be early for the commercial crabbing guys. I think they don't really get going until May. I've visited Ocracoke by land a few times. I really like the ice cream shop over by the highway. The marina is scheduled to open on the 15 for the season so...I should be able to get a hot shower. I'll be sure to pack a deck of cards and a good book just in case I get pinned down.

r

Here is the NOAA link for the weather forecast in that area...

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...text&zmx=1&zmy=1&map.x=272&map.y=136&site=MHX

I will be making regular use of this site before I commit.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Hope your trip went well, we visited Okracoke by ferry last year. How many hours do you plan for the trip?

Jan 19, 2010
Hope your trip went well, we visited Okracoke by ferry last year. How many hours do you plan for the trip?
Thanks...

I'd have to say this was a perfect cruise, perhaps the best 4-day weekend of my life. I just got home last night around 10:00 pm so I have not yet had time to down load the pictures and write it all up in my mind.... but I'll post some pics and descriptions soon.

To answer you question... we sailed from Swanquarte bay to Ocracoke in about 5.5 hours. We had a nice 10-15 wind out of the SE making for a very nice reach with the wind slightly aft.

We had to return in fog.... so a very different experience. I'll write more on that later.

One short story from the cruise....The ferry entered the channel on my approach so I eased out of the channel to let him pass. Most people don't understand the idea of a swing keel... :thumbup:... and the ferry operator got very concerned about me running aground. He first hailed me on 16 and told me to veer sharply to port. At that time I did not get the fact that he was worried about me hitting ground and I assumed he was planning on passing close to my position so I obliged and got off of the opposite side of the channel, .... he hailed me again (more intensity in his tone of voice)

"you are out of the channel again... you are out of the channel again".

I responded with "... I'm drawing 6 inches... which side do you want me to pass on..."

I got a moment of silence followed by "Roger... pass to port". ;)

Nonetheless, It was nice to know he had my back.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
We are taking our "new to us" West Wight Potter 15 with us to NC this weekend. We will stay in Oriental and make a few day trips up towards New Bern and perhaps down to Beaufort or Cedar Island.

Jan 19, 2010
I sailed out of Oriental last summer. I highly recommend Whittaker Point Marina. The dock master is a guy named Ashley and his #2 is a guy named Buck. The marina is top quality. The bathhouse is nicer than most motels, pool, free use of a van etc.

We spent two days in the south river exploring the banks ... it was really nice.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
This area is a fantastic sailing destination and almost exclusive to you shoal-water sailors. The winds are reliable (the Wright Bros. picked the region for that reason) and the gunkholes are unpopulated. We used to visit often with our one-design Mobjack17 and a week's worth of camping supplies.

A fav itinerary; Put in at the Cedar Island public boat ramp (next to the ferry) Sail west around the island and tack south into West Bay on the backside of Cedar Island for a private overnight. Then in the morning continue south, and out the Thorofare (under the Rt 12 bridge; 45ft vert cl) and down the Core Sound to Harkers Island or the Shackleford Banks. If you are feeling salty, take the channel over to Cape Lookout Bight and anchor with the ponies under the light of Cape Lookout lighthouse. In the morning enjoy a refreshing 12 mile romp with the porpoises to Beaufort ("Bow-fort") on the outside (Onslow Bay) and dock at historic Beaufort, NC. Hang out with the big boat sailors staging for their next leg up and down the coast. If you did a trailer shuttle you can take out in Beaufort and drive the 25 miles back up to CI, or if the winds are fair, take the Core Sound back up to the boat ramp. At some point you will experience some of the best winds you will ever sail in and see places that time has forgotten. The whole time you will be rubbing up against the finest people the lowcountry has to offer. I envy you.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Gunni said:
This area is a fantastic sailing destination and almost exclusive to you shoal-water sailors. The winds are reliable (the Wright Bros. picked the region for that reason) and the gunkholes are unpopulated. We used to visit often with our one-design Mobjack17 and a week's worth of camping supplies.

A fav itinerary; Put in at the Cedar Island public boat ramp (next to the ferry) Sail west around the island and tack south into West Bay on the backside of Cedar Island for a private overnight. Then in the morning continue south, and out the Thorofare (under the Rt 12 bridge; 45ft vert cl) and down the Core Sound to Harkers Island or the Shackleford Banks. If you are feeling salty, take the channel over to Cape Lookout Bight and anchor with the ponies under the light of Cape Lookout lighthouse. In the morning enjoy a refreshing 12 mile romp with the porpoises to Beaufort ("Bow-fort") on the outside (Onslow Bay) and dock at historic Beaufort, NC. Hang out with the big boat sailors staging for their next leg up and down the coast. If you did a trailer shuttle you can take out in Beaufort and drive the 25 miles back up to CI, or if the winds are fair, take the Core Sound back up to the boat ramp. At some point you will experience some of the best winds you will ever sail in and see places that time has forgotten. The whole time you will be rubbing up against the finest people the lowcountry has to offer. I envy you.
Cedar Island is on our list for sure as is Core Sound and Beaufort. We will likely just day sail and stay in a comfy bed each night. Our Potter 15 isn't yet fully overnight ready.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
We had a lot of fun in Oriental with winds 15-20 gusting to 25 both Monday and Tuesday. We didn't get to Cedar Island due to the winds but managed some fun sailing close to Oriental.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
TSBB 2 said:
Is the Bean open again? I was through there just after Irene, and it was closed due to hurricane damage.
The Bean is open again and looks better than ever!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have some buddies in Ocracoke right now waiting on TS Alberto to clear before they head on up the Chesapeake.. They are from Oriental; we've enjoyed The Bean a good bit ! Fine place..

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Someday before I retire my wife and I want to buy some waterfront property on the NC coast and spend more time there. We like Pamlico county the most but also like further north like around Washington or Edenton.

Jul 1, 2012
Boat 2011 2008
When I looked at your photo, it looked like a badly damaged hull that may have a hole blown thru it. Looks like a bow pointing to the right. Duh, my mistake!

Status
Not open for further replies.