Oceanis vs. First

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lou

I am comparing the Oceanis vs. the First models in the 35 to 37 foot range. I understand that the Oceanis models are optimized for cruising, and the First models are optimized for speed. However, do you Oceanis owners feel you compromised too much on speed, and do you First owners feel you sacrificed too much on comfort. I'm looking to take my family of 4 cruising for one month a year, then do local cruising on weekends and club racing the rest of the season. What to do???

B

Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net

Family Comes First

Jan.28,2001 Dear Lou, How important is racing to you, and what is the composition of the racing fleet that you arer going to be competeing with? If it was possible to get into a fleet of one or the other and do level racing that is what I would opt for regardless if it was a First or Oceanis fleet. Our boat is a F456 and it's a great sailer, and we cruise it. If I had it to do over again I would probably opt for the Oceanis line, because we live aboard and the extra storage would be handy. We don't race. If I wasn't living aboard and was going to do what you plan I would definitely opt for the First though, because it is quite liveable for the short term. Hope this helps. Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net, Aboard The Legend, Rodney Bay, St.Lucia

J

Jeff Taylor

First and Formost

If you thinking of doing any racing, the 35s5 is the way to go. Your family will love to cruise on a performance oriented boat as well and family racing with you on weekend. A 35s5 finished 2nd in high point in the PHRF N in Annapolis. The owner has been racing for over 50 years and loves this boat. I enjoy giving him a run for his money.

L

Larry Watkins

Oceanis v. First

Lou; When I bought my Bene, there were two available on the same dock, an OC400 and a First 41something. I chose the Oceanis for its interior livibility, windows in the hull, storage, etc. It's plenty fast enough, too. Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.