Oceanis 48 Freezer issues

Jan 2, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 48 Shilshole
I bought my Beneteau Oceanis 48 new from Signature Yachts & have had issues with the freezer since day 1. They have replaced the thermostat twice & the compressor once. It now comes to light the freezer does not have enough insulation and in fact they shaved some of the insulation off the bottom of the freezer to make the compressor fit. Now in order to "try" to keep things frozen it has to run almost nonstop which also makes the outside of the box sweat causing a build up of moisture in the area that is causing other issues. Signature is not standing behind this issue & tells me I am using the boat harder than it was designed, i.e. more than a few weeks during the summer & the occasional weekend. Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm told my only options at this point is to redesign the area & move the compressor out & add more insulation myself which on a new boat seems crazy.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I assume this was done by the dealer under their commissioning fees? Ask them to re-locate the compressor from under the freezer (a really poor decision) and properly insulate the freezer box. Do this in writing and be polite. Enlist Beneteau corporate if the dealer continues to sandbag you.

Jan 2, 2017
Thank you for replying Gunni, yes you are correct this is how the boat was designed & came from France. I have made no modifications to the area at this point but will need to as the damage it's causing already in just the 3 years & a few months I have owned her so I am considering this as a open warranty/bad design issue. I have asked nicely in writing more than once & Signature is saying "there is nothing broken with the system that they can submit as a warranty claim to Beneteau. They have replaced the thermostat twice (once by a Beneteau person who butchered the job) & when it failed by a local company that I trust. Signature admits that the ice & condensation is likely due to the lack of insulation on the box & the compressor location. But they are saying with me living aboard & it "running 24x7, NOT the several weeks in the summer & on the occasional weekends. The design from Beneteau is sufficient for the way most people use their boats. So it's on me to take care of moving it. I was hopping to find others that live aboard & had the same issue & looks like everyone has had to pretty much do what I am going to have to do. Question is is how to get Beneteau/Signature to step up & cover it. My original sales person has just returned after a year long sabbatical so reached out to her to see if she may help my cause. I have also reached out to the original Beneteau warranty person I worked with at the onset & a few from the website but they have gone dark. If you have any other contact info you have had success with you'd be willing to share I would love to give them a try! Thank you Gunni!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
"The design is sufficient for the way most people use their boats"? That is an especially creative lame-ass excuse. I often keep my freezer running all summer long, live in a place that gets very hot and humid AND I have none of these problems. Most likely because my compressor is tucked into a useless compartment under my stove, 5 feet away from my freezer box. It also has an add-on ducted compressor ventilation fan to move hot air and draw in cool air. Forget the salesperson, she got her payday, you need to escalate this to the Dealer Ownership, and Beneteau USA. The folks in Marion know how to properly locate and install a reefer compressor. Be very specific about what you are asking for - move the compressor, and repair/replace the freezer insulation, warranty the work for 1 year. Really disappointed to hear that Beneteau isn't being more proactive with their quality control.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The US-sold 48 is made in France? Thats interesting.

Often aspects of the French-built boats are not designed well for REALLY hot humid USA weather... kinda a function of where they are designed. But I see the OP is in Seattle, which has weather very much like the weather in Brittany. Hmmm.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Used to be anything bigger than 46ft was not built in the US.

Jan 2, 2017
Signature Yachts is the yacht broker here in Seattle I went through to purchase my boat, she was was built in France & shipped to the US. So I was waiting till I heard back from Signature and actually my sales person did go to bat for me & they have agreed to help with moving the compressor!

Jan 2, 2017
This shows how the compressor is today & how they shaved off the insulation to make room for it. you can also see the water dripping down right above the fan.

cpirao

Oct 6, 2009
Beneteau 423 Jersey City, NJ
This shows how the compressor is today & how they shaved off the insulation to make room for it. you can also see the water dripping down right above the fan.
How did you end up resolving the issue with Beneteau?

I’m asking because I’m also facing several design issues that are being dismissed by Beneteau Fr as “that’s just the way it is.” It’s very bold for them to take this attitude in an age where lack of customer focus can get a manufacturer in a heap of trouble over social media.

Thank you and I hope you were able to resolve the problem.

cpirao

Oct 6, 2009
Beneteau 423 Jersey City, NJ
How did you end up resolving the issue with Beneteau?

I’m asking because I’m also facing several design issues that are being dismissed by Beneteau Fr as “that’s just the way it is.” It’s very bold for them to take this attitude in an age where lack of customer focus can get a manufacturer in a heap of trouble over social media.

Thank you and I hope you were able to resolve the problem.
Same here - dealing with issues resulting from lack of quality control and being dismissed as “that’s by design” - BS. I reminded the dealer that the last boat builder that said that, went belly up - literally. Anyone recall the Oyster story.

I think my 48 was built on a Friday afternoon after a cheese and wine break.

Very frustrating.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Stop me if this is not correct.
  • This issues have been something you documented with the factory dealer(s) since shortly after you bought the boat.
  • Several related fixes have been attempted by the dealer's mechanics and Beneteau's mechanics?
  • WHO installed the compressor? Beneteau or the Dealer?
  • WHO shaved-off the insulation?
  • Was the freezer equipment and box supposed to have been installed by the Factory; or did you elect (for some reason) to have the Dealer installed; or, did that decision come without your knowledge or based on some assurances? etc?
  • IF Beneteau installs the compressor, is the location that you have your compressor in, the FACTORY location? Is there a difference in the equipment that you have, vs. other Beneteau 48's?
Obviously the incidental use argument is only helpful to you as a sign of bad faith, stupidity, etc. But who is responsible is an issue.

Sep 25, 2003
Beneteau Oceanis 48 Casco Bay, ME
Dutch - We have a new to us 2015 Oceanis 48 and the freezer is not working at all. Fan runs and that is it. How did you end up resolving it in the end?