Oceanis 41 - quarterberth vs. full size?

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Looked at 41 foot boats at the Annapolis Show. The Oceanis 41 is a beautiful boat but we were curious about the fact the stern berths only come with a 'quarter berth' design vs. a full bedroom with some other 41 designs.

We can see the value of having a storage room in the back, but our preference is for a larger owner's quarters.

Just curious if anyone has experience with this boat and regrets not having a full stateroom in the helm.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The Finot design style for the Oceanis line is focused on low freeboard. When you a attempt to place a full stateroom under the cockpit of a boat this size you have to raise the deck and end up with what many consider to be an ugly boat and, higher COE, and an unacceptable amount of windage. It is pretty much what killed the center-cockpit boats of this size.

The current trend is to put the owner's quarters forward as a v-berth. On our 411 we have a very useable pullman just forward the mast, and head in the vee, but during passages I find that the aft cabin is a great spot, as are the saloon seats when equipped with lee cloths.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Thanks, Gunni.
Hope you make it to the boat show this year.
We really liked the Beneteau 41, but are leaning toward the Jeanneau 41 DS due to the aft cabin design... Also, a lot more side window area.

MI248

Sep 17, 2013
Beneteau 40 CHS
Interesting issue. I've been looking at the B41 and B45 and have friends with both. So I've spent a fair amount of time on them. I like the design. I agree with Gunni's design comments. I'll add two additional observations.

First, the lower cockpit allows for stairs vs a ladder type companionway. It is a big advantage at the dock/hook and on a rough offshore passage.

Second, the forward cabin is pretty spacious and easy to negotiate compared to older designs. I refer the openness feel and head room vs crawling out of the aft cave while my bed mate is asleep. You can always use the aft or salon If you are doing a passage.

I currently have a 2 cabin with the aft owners berth B40 and am considering a new Oceanis.

The Jeanneau 41DS is also nice.

Jun 24, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Shady Side, MD
I have a 2013 Oceanis 41 and really like the design. Only thing I would change is the aft cabin. Is love to have the full width berth but the extra storage and other design features such as the stairs vs ladder and the full lowering transom for a swim platform are more important. The design allows me to easily single hand.

Sep 13, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Seattle
What we love about the 41 is the light and air in the forward cabin. No matter how big the aft, it is always a "cave". We looked at the 44DS and the aft cabin was huge but the steep companionway, strange head with no separate shower, dark/stuffy aft cabin, and diving refrigerators were the factors that swung towards the oceanis. The oceanis also has an AMAZINGLY open transom that is unmatched, and a more traditional winch and lines layout where the jeanneau has a German main sheet system (with a traveller too?) that seemed better in theory.

May 31, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Beaulieu-sur-Mer
I've had my 41 for over 2 years. At the time of ordering the Dufour and Jeaneau of the same length were the other options. At the time the deciding factor was the size of the cockpit. Light years ahead of the others. We bought the 3 cabin/2 head version. We thought we'd use the forward cabin but after a couple of months we moved to the starboard aft cabin.
a. It was one of our great decisions. The Oceanis 41 was/is (in our humble opinions way ahead of the competition in the price range)
b. Who cares about the cave aspect - it's not a big issue, certainly not compared to what you get by way of compensation - big cockpit, easy steps, great space inside, perfect layout below.
c. Only mistake was perhaps not going for the 45....but berth limits (12m) precluded this decision.
Yep, that was a good decision - not regretted for a second!