Oceanis 373 Greasy Water In Engine Start Battery Compartment

May 28, 2025
13
Beneteau 373 New Bern, NC
After a long (4.5 hour each way) trip over the summer, I noticed water with grease in it under the engine and in the starter battery box area. I was able to use soaking material and soak it up and dispose properly at our marina. No idea where it came from, but because it looked like black thick grease in sitting the water I thought it may have come from the stuffing box. I wasn't sure, this is a new boat to me. After cleaning it up, I never noticed it again so it didn't appear to be something leaking from the water system or elsewhere. We dock in a large river that empties into the Pamlico Sound in NC. So it is mostly fresh brackish water.

Today, I was checking on the boat and once again there was water in that area. We had taken the boat out twice in recent weeks on motor due to no wind. So once again I'm wondering if it is coming from the shaft. It appears to only happen when we motor with the boat.
 
May 17, 2004
6,215
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
On a 373 I presume you have a Volvo droplets shaft seal? Something like this?
1770083214669.jpeg


If so it is possible the seal is leaking if it’s old and worn out. That wouldn’t really explain the grease though. There is a little grease in the seal but it stays pretty much its original blue color. I don’t think water leaking past that would make dirty greasy looking water. It’s also possible the “grease” is just belt dust and other random contaminants from the engine accumulating in the water.

I’d start by putting a paper towel under the shaft seal. That should make it easier to inspect to see whether that’s the source or if you need to look elsewhere.
 
Mar 6, 2008
1,515
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
A photo would help.
When I replace the flax packing inside the stuffing box, I put lanocoat before I screw in the nut. When the lanocoat becomes worm it drips and makes a mess. I keep a small tray under it to catch the drippings and the seawater so it is easy to clean.
Next time you see this "grease" scrape it to a plastic tray and see if it is lanocoat.
 
Last edited:

NYSail

.
Jan 6, 2006
3,187
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Sounds to me like you have 2 issues….. a water leak and an oil leak. Noticeable grease would not come off the shaft. Water coming through….. have you burped and greased the shaft seal? As was said, put a paper towel under that area to see if water is coming through. Maybe the oily stuff was a previous fuel leak….. residual gets trapped in the grid and will come out when flooded.

I always have an oil pad under the engine so I can see where any oil may be dripping from the engine.

Clean the bilge…..

good luck!