Oceanis 36cc Line Information

Apr 25, 2023
Beneteau Oceanis 36cc Toledo Beach
Hello!

We just took on a big project with a Oceanis 36 that has been sitting for 10-15 years.

We need to change all of the rigging lines on the boat, but we cannot find any documentation on the diameters and lengths of the furling lines and Halyards.

Does anyone happen to have them, or is there a comparable model that I can use as a reference?

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to SBO.
Nice boat to own for a novice. There is a lot to learn.

Rigging lines can be what ever you want (within some limits). If a previous owner changed the blocks after it was built, the "documentation" could be all in error.

Material
Lines like halyards will serve you better if they are low stretch. That said if price is an issue (and low stretch tends to be more expensive) then get what you can afford and be ready to adjust the line as it stretches under use. It will get you out sailing. Lean to the Dacron/Polyester lines. Double braid they have minimum (5%) stretch. You may want to spend the extra to get a line with core fibers that have no stretch. You will secure/fix in place these lines most of the time. No stretch or minimal works. They must be sized diameter to fit inside the sheaves in the mast. You can go to the top and check the fit, you can take the mast down and measure the size of the sheaves, or you can try pulling the current lines to see if they work freely raising and lowering a sail. That will give you a clue.

Sheets are active working control lines. Some give in them supports the strain and pressures involved with sails catching the wind. Dacron/Polyester double braid works here as well. You will be frequently adjusting these lines. I want these lines to have a good hand feel. They must be sized to fit inside the blocks and equipment on your boat.

There are some rough estimates for all lines.
Here is an interesting site.

Apr 25, 2023
Beneteau Oceanis 36cc Toledo Beach
Thanks for all the information!

The line information is really interesting.

The sizes are much different than what is currently on the boat. Currently, the Main 15mm (5/8) in diameter. Would that be because of the older lines?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
15mm Main...
Main Halyard or Main sheet?

Halyard on a 36ft boat must fit the sheaves at the top of the mast. If the current 15mm halyard
  • runs smoothly and
  • is easy to raise and lower the sail (no felt friction. the line moves easily and with positive action) and
  • you do not want to climb the mast or
  • the mast is not on saw horses in the yard where you can inspect the line in the sheaves...
Then I would replace it with in kind-same size. I use an if working keep it policy. I do not change something if it functions properly.
1682868910207.png

Here is an image of a block where the line is a little larger than the sheave width. The blocks open structure lets the boat owner get away with the larger line (line rides above the edges of the block not in the groove. On a sheave in the mast head it would eventually give chafe and friction problems.
1682869131030.png

May 3, 2021
beneteau 36cc greenport
Hi, i own a 2000 36cc in Bristol condition. I have a detailed sheet of all running rigging for then entire boat. I’m at silversurfer550@gmail.com - I’ll happily send it over to you. I am replacing all mine now and replacing the boom car along with servicing the in-mast furling. Feel free to reach out!