Oceangate Titan

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I just can't imagine ponying up for large chunks of cash to ride an uncertified vessel to the depths to look at a ship which sunk 130 year ago, seems just rightfully crazy to me, even if I had the cash to do such a reckless move I would not. I hold this in the same category as the Space X missions to space, just crazy.....

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I hold this in the same category as the Space X missions to space, just crazy.....
I just read something by Neil Degrasse Tyson who explains that subsea work is HARDER than space. The pressure differential on the ISS is 1 atm. The pressure differential at the Titanic site is 400 atm. And that water stream when you are messing with the paddlewheel? About 1/5 atm!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Even at much less than that, repeated internal pressurizations of aircraft fuselages to maintain 1 atm at altitude yields stress that degrades them. With submersibles, it’s the same problem but in reverse. Pressure exerts externally but at much greater differential, etc. Pressure hull degrades with repeated cycling.

As we boaters and boat owners know, a complete “catastrophic” failure of our equipment (even our own bodies) is often forewarned. Ignoring the warnings of impeding failure leads to a catastrophic failure at some point downstream. Challenger disaster is another example mentioned already. Rush not only did not listen to his “colleagues” and friends, but neither to the forewarnings of his own device and creation.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
So who pays for all the search, rescue and "recovery" operations. Do we (Canadian, US, French...) citizens all foot the bill for this experimental venture?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
So who pays for all the search, rescue and "recovery" operations. Do we (Canadian, US, French...) citizens all foot the bill for this experimental venture?
Who can be invoiced? The CGs did the jobs that they are empowered and funded to do with the money we give them to do it. It’s spent. If a call for assistance goes out for which there a response, there’s no charge to anyone unless it proved to be a fake. Nothing illegal about getting yourself into a mess where the government is expected to, and often does, bail you out from, or attempts to. Consider the relative cost of student loan forgiveness, bank rescues, bankruptcy court, and endlessly on, etc., including every USCG deployment for search and rescue. Relatively speaking, the rescue attempt was pennies against those kinds of dollars!

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I think we do. I can't imagine the company, which will now probably declare bankruptcy, has the assets to cover that huge search operation.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I think we do. I can't imagine the company, which will now probably declare bankruptcy, has the assets to cover that huge search operation.
Must remember, according to reports, US Coast Guard Command may have known early or strongly suspected that the Titan did not surface. (Navy implosion sound data.) No need therefore for extensive continued search of surface waters. In the end all that was needed was to send an ROV to the deployment/dive site to search for the wreckage, etc., probably with location coordinates, and which was found rather quickly. I doubt anyone would be expected to reimburse for a willful search of an area “twice the size of Connecticut” for HIGHLY UNLIKELY survivors unless, perhaps, someone important actually requested it—family $$? We’re talking billionaire passengers here, afterall.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Consider the relative cost of student loan forgiveness, bank rescues, bankruptcy court, and endlessly on, etc... Relatively speaking, the rescue attempt was pennies against those kinds of dollars!
I don't disagree with any of the responses. But I can't compare these examples, which benefit a very large number of people and "society as a whole", to a search and rescue mission for a very limited number of people on a paid for excursion in an unsanctioned vessel.

Was the Titan registered in any particular country?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I don't disagree with any of the responses. But I can't compare these examples, which benefit a very large number of people and "society as a whole", to a search and rescue mission for a very limited number of people on a paid for excursion in an unsanctioned vessel.
USCG search and rescue services benefit a large number of people and society as a whole. Would we ask it to “pick and choose” would can benefit from a rescue financially and who cannot? In comparison, would we say that student loan forgiveness (government rescue) could not apply to students receiving loans to attend Duke, but who eligible if to attend Georgetown, etc.? And how would that benefit the > 50% of adults who do not attend college at all? No loan forgiveness (government rescue) for majors in studies with few career opportunities such as Fine Arts, but yes if majoring in a STEM degree, etc.? Similarly, no rescue forgiveness if at sea in an uncertified submersible for tourism, but yes if in a sailing dinghy in the middle of the San Pedro Channel w/o one’s boater certificate card, etc?

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
USCG search and rescue services benefit a large number of people and society as a whole. Would we ask it to “pick and choose” would can benefit from a rescue financially and who cannot? In comparison, would we say that student loan forgiveness (rescue) could not apply to students receiving loans to attend Duke, but are eligible if to attend Georgetown, etc.? And how would that benefit the > 50% of adults who do not attend college at all? No loan forgiveness (rescue) for majors in studies with few career opportunities such as Fine Arts, but yes if majoring in a STEM degree, etc. Similarly, no rescue forgiveness if at sea in an uncertified submersible for tourism, but yes if in a sailing dinghy w/o your boater’s certificate card, etc?
I don't buy the analogy to student loan forgiveness, which isn't happening, by the way. SLF is very unfair to taxpayers, and those who don't go to college. And, it's not even forgiveness, it's a subsidy, if it happens. But perhaps that's a topic for Sail's Call.

I think there's something a bit wrong for a commercial enterprise to go off half cocked and put a lot of people at risk - passengers, as well as rescue responders. The CEO fired a safety whistleblower, scoffed at industry pros who warned him, in writing! Eschewed certification by any competent body.

I wonder if registration of such a craft is necessary? I sincerely doubt it was registered or documented anywhere. Plus, if US, it fell into the "6 pack" realm, i.e., uninspected vessel.

Maybe there should be some changes in laws and regulations in the aftermath of this tragedy.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I don't buy the analogy to student loan forgiveness, which isn't happening, by the way. SLF is very unfair to taxpayers, and those who don't go to college. And, it's not even forgiveness, it's a subsidy, if it happens. But perhaps that's a topic for Sail's Call.

I think there's something a bit wrong for a commercial enterprise to go off half cocked and put a lot of people at risk - passengers, as well as rescue responders. The CEO fired a safety whistleblower, scoffed at industry pros who warned him, in writing! Eschewed certification by any competent body.

I wonder if registration of such a craft is necessary? I sincerely doubt it was registered or documented anywhere. Plus, if US, it fell into the "6 pack" realm, i.e., uninspected vessel.

Maybe there should be some changes in laws and regulations in the aftermath of this tragedy.
Ok, fine. Pick something else. FEMA (government rescue) will not help folks on the beach recover from hurricane damage b/c it’s “stupid” to develop communities there in the first place, especially on barrier islands, but will help folks living in fire-prone areas recover because it’s not quite as “stupid” to develop there? Or in areas prone to periodic flooding; banks of the Missouri? You all are missing the point. You cannot post hoc decide who is worthy to benefit from a government program to aid people in distress; whether or not they got there in that situation by their own design. Like buying a house on a barrier island in Alabama, etc., or going to sea in an unseaworthy vessel off the coast of Newfoundland.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Ok, fine. Pick something else. FEMA (government rescue) will not help folks on the beach recover from hurricane damage b/c it’s “stupid” to develop communities there in the first place, especially on barrier islands, but will help folks living in fire-prone areas recover because it’s not quite as “stupid” to develop there? Or in areas prone to periodic flooding; banks of the Missouri? You all are missing the point. You cannot post hoc decide who is worthy to benefit from a government program to aid people in distress; whether or not they got there in that situation by their own design. Like buying a house on a barrier island in Alabama, etc., or going to sea in an unseaworthy vessel off the coast of Newfoundland.
I didn't miss your point, you just didn't make it in a very compelling way with the loan forgiveness analogy.

And by the way, have you ever taken an ambulance ride? You are likely to get a bill!

Why do we have vessel inspection requirements, captains license requirements, and so on? To protect and hopefully prevent these things from happening.

And, I think the company, OceanGate, should get a bill! It's a commercial operation, after all.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If you call 911 for EMT services, you don’t get a bill if even if you do not live healthfully and ignore doctor warning’s to quit drinking and eat less junk food if you live in the city, but you do get the bill if you live in the suburbs with the same problems and warnings, or similar?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
What you’re effectively arguing is that anyone who takes risks at sea that you and perhaps a few others do not approve of, maybe racing from Newport to Bermuda in bad weather, and gets into trouble should have to reimburse the government for a tax-payer benefit that we all agree should exist? Or is it just the “commercial” part that’s objectionable? I imagine that all merchant vessels are insured. If one sinks in a storm and its crew is rescued by the CG or it makes the attempt, should the company or its insurer reimburse? The CG rescues the people, not the vessel.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
What you’re effectively arguing is that anyone who takes risks at sea that you do not approve of, maybe racing from Newport to Bermuda in bad weather, and gets into trouble should have to reimburse the government for a tax-payer benefit that we all agree should exist? Or is it just the “commercial” part that’s objectionable? I imagine that all merchant vessels are insured. If one sinks in a storm and its crew is rescued by the CG or makes the attempt, should the company reimburse? The CG rescues the people, not the vessel.
I'm not saying that, and I don't want to continue this argument.

SBO Police Bot

Staff member
Jan 8, 2016
None None
But perhaps that's a topic for Sail's Call.
Lest anyone gets any ideas - No, that would be off bounds for Sail’s call too. Glad to see the thread moved past that. I’ll go back to slumbering now. Hope no one wakes me up again. :)

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
The CG rescues the people, not the vessel.
Yes, and you're right about that, and it certainly is the case that no one is charged for rescues:

Why the Coast Guard doesn't charge for search and rescue operations — even in cases like the Titan submersible's and its ultra-wealthy passengers

It's just infuriating to me in this case, since this is such an extreme case of ignoring safety concerns.

And then there's this:

OceanGate Titanic sub: Royal Canadian Mounted Police not ruling out possible criminal investigation

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Not sure I agree. The Navy was using a top-secret system, and given what we know about seismic survey technology, which has been around for nearly 70 years, I surmise the Navy utilizes some kind of underwater listening array which can locate noises in 3 dimensions.
I have been told, it is amazing with the right devices, planted in the in the correct locations can triangulate the location of 2 shrimp having sex. I am sure that is a sea story. That said behind every good sea story there is a factual beginning.

I served on a submarine for a while. The USS Gato SSN-615. It was a Thresher 593/Permit 594 long hull class fast attack. Because of that I found this guy on YouTube the did a great brief on the loss of the USS Thresher SSN-593 after the release of declassified materials last year titled 37 Pings: Death Throes of the USS Thresher. It was the first place I turned to when I heard about the Titan tragedy. I think his knowledge is far better than mine.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: