Obligatory log-in?

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I am running W10, browsing with Firefox and Adblock Plus. I can no longer view any of the forums or posts therein without first logging on to SBO. Is this by design? It seems counterproductive to me, but maybe it makes keeping the site free of hackers a bit easier...

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
I'm not sure why that happened, I'll look into to it.

We do vet new member registrations to reduce the chances of hackers and spammers getting access to the forums.

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
It should be fixed. At least, I can read posts when I am logged out. If someone else could check, I'd appreciate it.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I just logged out of SBO, verified I could see/read posts (with ads), then logged back into SBO.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Yup. Working again as it should for me. I only log in when I have something to say (write). My browser is set to log me out of all sites and delete cookies when I close it. I realize not everyone would find this convenient; it helps keep tracking cookies and Mr. Zuckerberg a safe distance from me. ;)

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
Yup. Working again as it should for me. I only log in when I have something to say (write). My browser is set to log me out of all sites and delete cookies when I close it. I realize not everyone would find this convenient; it helps keep tracking cookies and Mr. Zuckerberg a safe distance from me. ;)
Sorry about that Jim. I was doing a little maintenance on the site and inadvertently blocked Guests from viewing threads. It wasn't until this morning that I became aware of the problem. The upside, we had about 200 registrations in the 36 hours it was blocked and a surprising number of members from Great Britain, Australia and other places around the world.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I was doing a little maintenance on the site and inadvertently blocked Guests from viewing threads. It wasn't until this morning that I became aware of the problem.
I stay logged in and was having trouble accessing the forums since last evening until a few minutes ago. Time is now 1:00pm, EST. Seems OK now.

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
I stay logged in and was having trouble accessing the forums since last evening until a few minutes ago. Time is now 1:00pm, EST. Seems OK now.
Separate issue. It has been resolved. My apologies for the inconvenience.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Separate issue. It has been resolved. My apologies for the inconvenience.
No problem, Dave. Not even an inconvenience. I initially thought I had been banned for some unknown reason until others started reporting the same issue.
Cheers, :beer: