Oberdorfer N202M-908 Pump leaking

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
Changed out the Sherwood pump for the recommended Oberdorfer N202-908 in 2017 Have Hull#57 2001 The first pump made it for 675 hours then leaked the new replacement pump leaked at 256 hrs. What has anyone seen for the longevity of these pumps before they start to leak. Both of these pumps were leaking from the weep hole, it never got to the point that the engine was not getting sufficient amount of water to cool the engine. My question is so it drips but the engine is still being cooled properly, is this an issue with this pump?

Thanks for any feedback,
Mark

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Leaking from the weep hole is likely merely the common and intentional indicator that the bearings need replacing.
Bearing kit is I think $40. Rem pump and then press bearing in professionally or you can do it.
Reinstall pump and ready to go.
No need to buy new pump.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
With that few hours, you may not have a bearing problem.. The seal is leaking and you can change out the seal pretty easily.. I always have a couple of seal spares aboard.. They can fail quickly if ya get into some sandy water that gets pulled into the pump.. The seals are standard items and are relatively inexpensive..

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
With that few hours, you may not have a bearing problem.. The seal is leaking and you can change out the seal pretty easily.. I always have a couple of seal spares aboard.. They can fail quickly if ya get into some sandy water that gets pulled into the pump.. The seals are standard items and are relatively inexpensive..
Yes, seals! :doh:
In my mind they look like bearings, so subconsciously typed it.
But might as well change the bearing too while you're in there. I think it's plastic, and comes in one form of the kit.
image.jpeg

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
Thanks for the feedback, I have rebuilt the first one that failed and was hoping that the next one I purchased would last longer before a rebuild. The second one started leaking after 256 hrs, when I spoke to Depco where I purchased the first one they were surprised that it started leaking after 675 hrs. This is my first experience with a diesel engine the Universal 25XPB. I would have thought that the water pump wouldn't leak until around 1000 hours. My real question is what has been anyone's experience with this pump, after how many hours did it start to leak, also mine drips every 8 seconds is this a reason for concern or could this last for another 300 or more hours and not have a cooling problem. Thanks for any Feedback.

Last edited:

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Anyone have a part number for the gasket?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I would have thought that the water pump wouldn't leak until around 1000 hours. My real question is what has been anyone's experience with this pump, after how many hours did it start to leak, also mine drips every 8 seconds is this a reason for concern or could this last for another 300 or more hours and not have a cooling problem. Thanks for any Feedback.
buddy, you don't have a problem with the bearings. They rarely need to be replaced, but if when you replaced the seals and you scored the bearing, then it's gonna leak.
The issue is NOT one of cooling.
It's IS leaking through the weep hole.
You're there, we're not, but it is the seals, cuz that's what leaks.
While you're there, look carefully at the bearing.
Replace if necessary.
Seals leak. Bearings don't unless there's a scratch that lets water or oil past the outside part of the seals that butt against the bearing.
As long as the pump turns and the impellers are OK, it'll keep cooling.
But if there's any leaking through the weep hole...can you guess?:)

PS - from an M25 owners who has rebuilt his Oberdorfer a few times in the 21 years of owning this boat.
I got 1300 hours on my first rebuild, 800+ on the second one, but turned out it wasn't the seals, one of my studs failed - different story. I rebuilt the seals anyway that time.
Gasket number from Universal is: 1 gasket 6593 But look at the TOAD website to confirm, this is 10 years old. I bought a bunch and now get the from my local Kubota tractor dealer for a fraction of the price.
Good to see you keep good records, like I do. Good for you!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
That gasket is only necessary on the old pumps that don’t use an o-ring. I upgraded a -3 pump for a -16 to let me check the impeller without replacing the gasket and also eliminate the freeze cup.

May 24, 2013
Catalina 30 MK III 6444 Marina Del Rey
I have a Catalina 30, 2001 hull number 6444. When I bought the boat with 560 hours on the Univeral M-25 xpbc engine, the Sherwood pump was dripping at the weep hole. The previous owner replaced it with an Oberdorfer N202M-837, which leaked at the weep hole immediately. Oberdorfer overnighted a replacement which was installed. It is now less than 2 years old with 140 hours on it and it is leaking. (!!!)
Oberdorfer says it is warrantied for a year. They say it could have been run dry or sand got in it.......
In order to start the boat I have to open the inlet valve....the key is hanging off the lever. So, I am confident that it has not been run dry.
The shallowest water I am in is in my slip. Minimum 10'. So, I am suspicious of the quality of this very well respected piece of equipment.