O'34/ Outhaul -what's in your boom?

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
Has anyone pulled the end cap off their boom? I'm wondering if the outhaul uses anything more than a straight pull back toward the mast or whether it has a series of pullies inside?

thanks,
Lou

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I never thought about it and I don't remember anything about it in the manual. But if you pull your outhaul control line at the gooseneck 4 inches and the outhaul moves 4 inches at the boom end then we know that the line is direct without a hidden pulley.

Aug 7, 2015
Good thinking Larry, I'm in the process of replacing my traveler with a Garhauer rig & starting to re=think how all my control lines are addressed. I'm new to mid-boom sheeting requirements & the more I get into it, am not enthralled by having to adjust the main via the winch. All thoughts, comments or personal experience appreciated.

Lou

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
As you use the setup more you may come to like it more. With the mid boom traveler I am very happy with the ability to shape the main. I like not having the traveler in the cockpit. As a cruiser vs a racer, the mid sheeting arrangement is big selling point of the 34 for me. Of course the boat has a short boom to begin with.

Aug 7, 2015
I'm sure there are advantages in not having a cockpit traveler cluttering things up, but it's hard to beat being able to control everything from the proximity of the helm. Guido, the traveler maestro at Garhauer is giving it a look & I'll let you know if he comes up with a stellar solution.

Thanks to all, Lou