O34 Backstay Tension

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
For those with an adjustable backstay what tension do you run and in what conditions?

Thanks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
IIRC, you have a single spreader, simple rig (upper and both forward and aft lower shrouds). So do we.

I adjust the forestay and backstay for recommended tension to keep the mast straight.

I use the backstay tensioner to tension the forestay when closehauled to beam reach and take it off when running and furling.

It doesn't do anything to the telephone pole mast, it just keeps the forestay "honest." :)

Our adjuster is a four part vang connected to a single line that goes through a Garhauer split backstay block.

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
IIRC, you have a single spreader, simple rig (upper and both forward and aft lower shrouds). So do we.

I adjust the forestay and backstay for recommended tension to keep the mast straight.

I use the backstay tensioner to tension the forestay when closehauled to beam reach and take it off when running and furling.

It doesn't do anything to the telephone pole mast, it just keeps the forestay "honest." :)

Our adjuster is a four part vang connected to a single line that goes through a Garhauer split backstay block.

Boat is a little different, I understand the basics. Hydraulic back stay adjuster, was looking to see the PSI. Of course to complicate things more, the rig I have is a custom double spreader rod rigging.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Boat is a little different, I understand the basics. Hydraulic back stay adjuster, was looking to see the PSI. Of course to complicate things more, the rig I have is a custom double spreader rod rigging.
That rig doesn't complicate it at all... Straightforward masthead rig without runners. Set backstay tension loose in light air to allow head stay sag; maybe a foot or so mid stay in light air. Bring it on to tighten stay in more breeze, maybe 6 inches in a blow. Might be less if you have a furler foil.

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
Hello-
I just posted a question regarding a backstay adjustor, I have a standard fixed rig but would like to know how much difference your adjustable makes?
Lou