O’ Day 40, anchor choice and selection?

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
Time to dump our CQR in favor of a new anchor. Am considering a Vulcan or a Mantus M2, anyone have a knowledge of these as far as fit goes?
thanks,
Lou K

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I got suckered an anchor thread. Ohhh.....I see...."and or" was supposed to be anchor. G'bye.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I thought OP wanted choices or options about buying an Oday 40;)

I still use the old plow-style anchor that came with my O’Day 322…

so I have not valuable input.

Greg

Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
After dragging up and down a bay with my old CQR I bought the Sarca Excel and have been pretty pleased with it. It digs in really quickly.
However, now I would look at the SV Panope Youtube videos to see what is available now.
I believe he rated the Vulcan pretty high and it is cheaper than the Excel.
I bought the #5 and it has enough holding power but the #6 would be a better fit for the locker.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Would like to buy your old cqr when you get your new anchor.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I chose Mantus. It was a close tie with a Spade. Mantus came in a bit less. It has worked very well in out PacificNW waters.

Get the proper size or one larger for our boat displacement. and length. Keep the CRQ as a second anchor.

I believe the Fortress has a good reputation for holding in the seabed of the Chesapeake. They are light weight yet dig in and hold.

Get adequate chain and rode to meet your 10-1 scope for those bad weather days.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Check the websites for the anchors you are considering. They often have templates for the anchor that can be printed and cut out to make a mock up of the anchor profile. Use the template to see how it fits.

More important than the actual fit is how well it holds, especially in the soft muck of Chesapeake Bay. We have a 44# spade on our boat and it held well in the Bay and definitely needed a good wash down pump.

Aug 7, 2015
Thanks, all- I have seen Sv Panope test and they are about as informational as one could hope. Like many things you go searching for one, only to find out you need two. I want one anchor that is good for everywhere and there’s simply no such thing, however I think the Vulcan or a Mantus M2 & 3/8” chain will get me fairly close. I saw that Bacon Sails in Annapolis had some used Spades but didn’t think to check their weight. I have 5/16 chain and am thinking I might want to increase to 3/8” if it will fit my gypsy.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We’re also considering upgrading from our Delta for the Chesapeake. One of Panope’s observations that I thought was pretty applicable is that the roll bar anchors seem to outperform the non-roll bar models in soft mud. Since we have so much soft mud in the Chesapeake we’re leaning toward a Mantus M1 or Rocna instead of the M2 or Vulcan.

Jan 11, 2014
Increasing the size of the anchor chain will also add significant weight in the bow, especially with an all chain rode. I'm not sure the benefits out weigh the cost here, more weight up front equals more hobby horsing. In the short steep chop on the Bay this will be accentuated.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO Forum Steve

Nice video. Touching on many of the practical issues involved is safely anchoring your boat. These bigger boats are not like one design boats that you can run up on the beach when taking a break.

I liked his calculation for scope.
The traditional chain scope calculation, using a simple multiplier, is not correct due to the curvature of the chain. 15m (50ft) plus double the depth is better calculation. But always put out more chain in challenging conditions.

Enjoy your bigger boat.

Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
It's been shown a number of times that, in a storm force wind, the chain is pulled bar tight and has virtually no curve.

Jan 11, 2014
It's been shown a number of times that, in a storm force wind, the chain is pulled bar tight and has virtually no curve.
Which is why a good snubber is essential for an all chain rode. When the chain is bar tight there is no give and the windlass or chain stopper takes a beating. Along with being really uncomfortable, or so I'm told.

Mar 8, 2019
ODay 322 Bodkin Creek, Chesapeake Bay
Time to dump our CQR in favor of a new anchor. Am considering a Vulcan or a Mantus M2, anyone have a knowledge of these as far as fit goes?
thanks,
Lou K
There are two aspects of fit to consider. On is the depth of the anchor locker and the second is whether the roller is strong enough.

On the ODay 322 I have a day anchor on the roller and a stowed Mantus 44 as an overnight anchor that I need to keep disassembled. It is too tall for the locker when assembled and too heavy to keep on the roller. Fortunately the six bolts are quick to deal with.

Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
There are two aspects of fit to consider. On is the depth of the anchor locker and the second is whether the roller is strong enough.

On the ODay 322 I have a day anchor on the roller and a stowed Mantus 44 as an overnight anchor that I need to keep disassembled. It is too tall for the locker when assembled and too heavy to keep on the roller. Fortunately the six bolts are quick to deal with.
The OP has a 40 so there is lots of room in the anchor locker.
There are also handy cleats for a snubber.
Unfortunately no place for a chain stopper.

Aug 7, 2015
Going to have to work on the chain stopper, maybe thru-bolt something to the roller assembly