O Day 26

Oct 7, 2016
Hunter 356 Little Creek, Norfolk VA
I am looking to purchase my first keel boat. I am considering an O Day 26. I cant find much on them. I do see that the PHRF rating is fairly high. for example 246 for CB version versus 213 for a Pearson 26.

How does the boat perform interms of speed in light airs and in heavier winds. I plan to sail the southern chesapeake bay and hampton roads harbor

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
We have one at our club in Wichita and I've not heard any complaints about them. They are good looking boats too and must
sail well in breezy conditions as this one has been here for many years. Pearson 26's are very stable and they have been popular in this area for many years as well.. Good luck with your search. Patrick

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I sail an O'day 25. The 26 is a newer model but basically the same boat. I don't know PHRF ratings or have lots of experience in other boats. I do know that the O'day is an easy sailing boat. It cuts through chop and waves easily. I have a 110 jib and need about 5 to get it going. Reef around 12 and can sail up into the low to mid 20s. Most are set up to use a 150 if your in light winds.
There are several 25s and 26s in our marina and I don't hear anyone say anything but good things about them.

Oct 7, 2016
Thanks Patrick. They look like very nice boats. And I am looking for a solid, comfortable boat that handles well without too much maintenance. Thats not too much to want for Christmas is it? :) .......

Oct 7, 2016
Thanks Ward. I understand this boat has had a compression post added and the chain plates rebedded. It looks to be in excellent condition very clean with rather new sails and rigging. Today I sail an 18' Buccaneer which is a bit of a speed demon. But I am ready to do some keel boat sailing.

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
I've been sailing my 25 Oday CB for about 7 years. Lots of room inside and sails well in all conditions. However, it could use some additional sail area for light winds and it's a bit tender for strong winds (heels a bit too much). But overall, I like it and I've had 9 boats,up to 43' over the last 65 years of sailing

Oct 7, 2016
I looked at the 26 today in person. Very impressed. Seems well maintained. Sails only 2 years old. Clean. Does have a compresion post added by a marine architect. Chain plates rebedded.

Aug 7, 2015
ODay 26 Panama City, FL
Ward, I have been on various sailboats throughout the years. About 4 years ago I got ASA certified and the boat used was a 27' Oday, I purchased a 26' Oday a couple of years ago. It has been a very easy to maintain boat. I made several upgrades from self-tailing winches to furling jib and ect... They have two ice compartments, one inside the cabin and one in the cockpit, That's very convenient. Swing keel gives you about 2.5 ft. of draft. It's also trailerable. I would highly recommend them.

Oct 7, 2016
The boat i considering has not had water in the water tank for at least 17 years. Any recommendations on bringing it back in service.