Nylon Cutlass Bearing

Jul 27, 2019
Yamaha 33 La Conner
Is anyone here familiar with the nylon cutlass bearing inside the nylon shaft log on the Yamaha 33? I’ve attach photos. The ID of the shaft log where it lives measures 2.0”. The OD of the bearing measures .186; a little wobbly. It’s probably due to wear on the rubber sleeve. Are these things available in the US? I’ve emailed various links to Japan with no response. None of the cutlass bearing suppliers I’ve contacted have ever seen this bearing. Curious to know if other owners are familiar with this issue.

Nylon Shaft Bearing.png DSC05660.JPG DSC05728.JPG DSC05729.JPG

AJW

Feb 3, 2020
Yamaha Y-30C Bellingham
Hi S, have you had any luck finding a replacement stern tube (or shaft log) bearing for your Y-33? I have a Y-30 with a 7/8 in shaft. According to the owners manual it's supposed to have a shaft log bearing but I don't see how I could access that. The stern tube seems to be firmly fiberglassed into the keel. Did you remove the stern tube to access the bearing?
Right now, my shaft is banging against the hole that it's exiting through at the end of the stern tube. I was hoping that I can replace the shaft log bearing but I'm starting to wonder if my boat even has one.

Jul 27, 2019
Yamaha 33 La Conner
AJW, I have not. I ordered a new 1" shaft today. I'm converting from a 25mm shaft to make servicing/parts a little easier to deal with in the future. I'm in the middle of a re-power and complete drivetrain replacement. I'm beginning to wonder if any of the owners of the Yamaha 33 are aware of this bearing. I may have a machine shop fab a replacement if I'm unable to use the original unit. I'm in the early stages of a complete rebuild/restoration of my vessel. It is at my home which is about an hour south of Bellingham. If you would like to come by I'm sure we could trade valuable information. I can show you what it looks like on my boat. Let me know how to contact you if you're interested.

AJW

Feb 3, 2020
Yamaha Y-30C Bellingham
Hi S, sorry for the hiatus. I haven't checked on the forum for a while. I'd love to get in touch sometime soon, and maybe meet if you're comfortable under the current situation. You can text me at 812-322-6433 and we can figure out a time to talk. I've scheduled a haul out end of this month to replace all my shaft bearings.