NYC to Milwaukee on a 42’ sailboat: how long?

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 419 Milwaukee
Hi all (yes we will remove the mast. Draft is 5”)
we will take the Hudson River to lake eerie via the canal
wondering how long it will take u…. can’t really find the NM between the two cities.
if you ve done part of the journey let me know the time

thx all,

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
NYC to Waterford, NY the beginning of the Erie Canal is 3 long days or 4 shorter days plus time to unstep the mast and secure it.

Erie Canal from Waterford to Buffalo, NY will be 7 to 10 days. It will take a few days to get the mast stepped again in Buffalo.

Can't help you for the Buffalo to Milwaukee part.

From NYC to Kingston, NY is one very long day. Stay at the Hudson River Maritime Museum it is a cool museum and a nice place to stay. I've stayed there a couple of times. A short walk away are a number of good restaurants and a great ice parlor.

Kingston the Catskill is another long day, this is where you get the mast unstepped. How long that takes is hard to tell. Depends on how prepared you are with mast cradles and how busy they are.

Catskill to Waterford is another long day. Tie up at the Waterford Visitor Center just before entering the canal. A grocery store is about a mile away and they let you take the cart back to your boat. The grocery store will come and fetch the cart.

Leaving Waterford at the first opening (around 7:00 am) will get you to Baldwinsville in about 3 ½ long days. From there it is about 4 to 5 days to Buffalo.

Do subscribe to the Canal's Notice to Mariner's and do review their site carefully lots of good information there.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
The time line depends on how much time you are willing to spend each day out on the water. I know someone who went from Chicago to Lake Ontario in a week. I did the trip in 3 months. Depends on how hard you want to push. My 3 month trip included a lot of cruising - 3 weeks in the North Channel and 3 weeks in Georgian Bay- a week on the Trent Severn. Measure the distance on a paper chart, which you should have for the trip anyways, and divide by how many miles you are willing to do in a day. The NOAA Lake Champlain to Lake of the Woods chart and a divider will give you the info you need.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
…. can’t really find the NM between the two cities.
Canal charts in the US use « statute miles ». If you go Trent Severn, Canadian charts use kilometers.
Motoring up the St-Clare & Detroit rivers is a slog. You will be doing 3 knots SOG.

Jan 11, 2014
All inland waters in the US use Statue miles which are shorter than NM, 5280 feet vs.6076 feet.

To get a rough approximation, use Google Earth and the Ruler tool. I just did and it was 1100 NM, but that is a gross approximation.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Hi all (yes we will remove the mast. Draft is 5”)
we will take the Hudson River to lake eerie via the canal
wondering how long it will take u…. can’t really find the NM between the two cities.
if you ve done part of the journey let me know the time

thx all,
Are you in a hurry?

dj

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
The Erie Canal is 339 miles. You need to check if locks operate at night. They did not on the Trent.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The Erie Canal is 339 miles. You need to check if locks operate at night. They did not on the Trent.
Cant run all night - from the canal system:

• The canal is open daily from 7am to 5pm, but many locks and lift bridges are open on demand until 10pm.
dj

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
Xavpil, We've done all of this trip at least once, and the Lake Huron and Lake Erie portions of the trip numerous times. I would agree with Dave, figure about two weeks from New York City to the east end of Lake Erie.

The rest of my times assume relatively long days, going 50 to 60 nautical miles a day, and no delays for bad weather or sight-seeing.

Lake Erie - 6 days
Detroit and St Clair Rivers - 2 days
Lake Huron - 5-6 days
Lake Michigan - 5 days

As a point of reference, we did a rush delivery from Milwaukee to the Toledo area in 10 days - though it should have been 11! If you want more information let me know and I can tell you various places we've stopped along the way. When do you plan to make the trip?

Last edited:

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
The time line depends on how much time you are willing to spend each day out on the water. I
About 8 h/days.
Not stops for visits. Only for diesel, rest and locks

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
you want more information let me know and I can tell you various places we've stopped along the way. When do you plan to make the trip?
Thanks Sue and sorry for late reply (actually doong the great loop )
we plan on leaving NYC by the second eeek of June

How was the Detroit St Clair river route? I was advised not to use it because it would be too slow to go against the powerful current….
I was recommended the Trent Severn- Georgian Bay because of the current reason.

what do you think?

Jan 11, 2014

How was the Detroit St Clair river route? I was advised not to use it because it would be too slow to go against the powerful current….

what do you think?
You might find this thread helpful.

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie

what do you think?

Since the Trent Severn starts in Lake Ontario, and we dock our boat in Lake Erie less than 20 nm from the Detroit River, I can't offer any advice about the T-S Canal. That being said, we've gone up and down the rivers over 20 times in 5 different boats ranging from 25 to 37 feet. (The 25 foot boat had a 9 horse outboard.)

I would guess the average current in the rivers is 3 to 4 knots - weaker at the south ends, getting progressively stronger as you go north. That being said, it is not a major issue. Peak current is where the river necks down between Sarnia and Port Huron under the Blue Water Bridge. There the current might reach 5 knots and your best bet is to hug the Canadian shore as close as you feel comfortable. Think just enough distance to turn the boat downstream in case of an engine problem.