NOXX anti-fouling system

Feb 10, 2015
Beneteau 343 Vancouver
Hello All
Does anyone here have any experience with the NOXX anti-fouling system? My boat is in the saltchuck year round, and I really hate the labour and expense of having to repaint the bottom every year or two (not to mention the environmental implications), so I am wondering if it is anywhere near as good as the manufacturers claim it to be. I know it's expensive, but if it works, it might be worth it.
Cheers

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Not exactly, according to the literature. Unlike ultrasonic systems, it emits a low-frequency pulse that the manufacturer claims is harmless to nearby marine life.
If that's the case, how will it keep your hull clean?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Can't find a NOXX user's review online, just the company's exhortations.
The only information I was able to find that was arm's length from the manufacturer was a recent report conducted on behalf of the State of Washington. The results primarily looked at toxicity and the effects the various products had on marine life. It is very detailed and I certainly did not peruse it. "Appendix K. Sound-based technology supplementary information" provides some information but for the end user I wouldn't find it terrible helpful in decision making.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...uBP+AA+draft+final+report_2017_08_29_WMv2.pdf

Jan 21, 2021
Catalina 34 MKII Saint John
Justsomeguy - Interesting cross reference on the chart between the various manufacturers. What was your source for this photo as I'm looking into these systems myself.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
There have been numerous electric antifouling systems around since at least the '70s. If they actually worked, one would think they would be an available option on new boats.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Ultrasound can be harmful to one's hearing if it's in high enough doses. Not sure how much marine life has ears that are susceptible