Now I know why....

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ouch. Is one of those yours?
Thankfully no. Its Lake Geneva. Normally the lake is sailed on year-round, but in the winter months they can get storms than bring bitter cold and high winds. The waves created hit the seawall and the spray freezes on the first row of boats. Boats one row back are totally unaffected.

• Helpful
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Where is that Clay? I’ve ever seen anything like that even up here in the Great White North.
Slow typist. Question answered.

Nov 8, 2010
Where is that Clay? I’ve ever seen anything like that even up here in the Great White North.
Slow typist. Question answered.
;^)

yes, swiss side of lake geneva. the problem is actually worse in freshwater; sea water freezes at a cooler (by 4F) temp.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Glad you cleared that up Clay. I could not imagine Lake Geneva Wisconsin being clear of ice, and boats remaining in the water. That would make for a dismal ice boating season.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
That's why they call them "slips"?

How's the Great Texas Freeze hitting you guys? Still racing?

Nov 8, 2010
That's why they call them "slips"?

How's the Great Texas Freeze hitting you guys? Still racing?
Oh man.

Last Tuesday we were sailing in shorts. Wednesday it was 40F. On thursday it was in the mid30s, raining and getting worse. We figured it was time to get the hell outta Dodge, so we packed and scrammed at 7PM, just hoping to get clear of Austin - Waco - Dallas, which all have terrible traffic. Hit the ice storm. Lucky the Quattro had snow/ice tires on, but MAN Texans have ZERO clue as how to drive on that stuff. We must have seen 100 accidents, 5 major road closures, and a 20 mile long backup in I35 south. Made it to Denton unscathed, but 90 minutes late, not bad all thing factored in. It had already dropped into the teens there. Got up and on the road at 6AM, and except for some light snow around OK city and Des Moines, made it home in great time. It was COLD here in MPLS, but we're built for that.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds like you made it home just in time. Drivers suddenly facing sub freezing temps just are not prepared like your stalwarts from Minnesota who don't get excited till the wind chill explore's minus 40. :yikes:

Valentines Holiday started for us on Lopez Island with a Friday night Saturday snowfall of 18 inches. A lot for this Southern San Juan Island.
IMG_1228.jpeg

That is my wife trying to uncover her new to her car.

We extended our stay enjoying the white stuff as it melted a bit to allow us to get out.

Our drive home was to discover the Ice Storm of the decade that put 300,000 Oregonians in the dark. Trees filled with rain moisture were no match for the added weight of the Ice and Wind that hit on Friday the 12th.
Trees fell across power lines.
IMG_1248.jpeg

Damage to property and the trees of our beautiful gardens.
IMG_1246.jpeg IMG_1252.jpeg

The power outage looks to be extended into the weekend. So it is candle light, winter sleeping bags and hugging the gas fire place in the 60F degree living space.
63522566556__96C39863-4A3B-4A21-AA41-AE98EE56C467.jpeg

Bunking with friends or a hotel room till they repair the power grid.

I did get to put my chain saw to work during a break in the rain clearing some of the debris as temps returned to the more normal 40's outside.

I got a message today from the Marina that as the temps are back in the 40's they turned the water back on to the docks, and promise to turn on the pump out stations in the marina again.