Notical Spell Checker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
Would a Nautical Spell Checker be a practical/useful addition for these forums? Spell checkers I've used come up short on many of the terms we use in these postings.
Just a thought, Geohan

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Spell check needs more power, the ability to see words within a sentence and determine if its the proper word for that sentence, such as brake or break, write or right or wright or rite, Whether or weather, which or witch, etc..

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
My Linux box already does this. Perhaps you should think of upgrading to a real OS

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If you're using a PC with W7, you can use iespell. You just have to "teach" it the proper nautical terms.

There's also this:

SILLY NAUTICAL SPELLINGS

Tacho
Tranny
Genny (Why not just spell genoa? Same number of letters.)
Or short for Generator (also silly)
Spinny

Heal - to feel better

Heel - the back of your shoe or boat tilt

:deadhorse:
That dead horse will never heal if you don’t stop hitting it on its heels with that stick.

Windows
Kitchen
Bathroom

Walls vs. bulkheads

Birth vs berth

Bildge vs bilge

Bilge vs bilge pump

Keal vs. keel

Bail and bale: two separate thingies.

yanny instead of Yanmar – like genoa, same # of letters

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Or.........you could go old school..... and...... learn to spell!!!! Take a course or read a book.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Joe, that book would be a dictionary...but, WAIT!!!...you need to know how to spell to USE a dictionary! :):):)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Then there's always my favorite abused abbreviation..... RPM's

It is RPM, not RPM's....

Revolutions per Minute

not

Revolutions Per Minutes

:D:D:D:D:D

Is there even such a thing as a nautical dictionary? I just use Mozilla Firefox and it catches most stuff. If it does not recognize a word I simply "add it to the dictionary"... BTW it is underlining RPM's in red but I am NOT adding that to the dictionary....;)

P.S. Stu you forgot "I was keeling over and my wife got scared."......:)

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
It is bad when you have new crew on board and you tell them to do something. You need a Nautical to English dictionary to help translate what you say! LOL

Sure....just snug up the main halyard and belay it. Snug up the jib sheet and tighten the back stay and we will point higher. Don't trip over the leeward jib sheet either! LOL

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Chapmans is, in my opinion, the best resource for nautical stuff in general. Sicks Munce agoe I cutn't eaven spel sayler and now i are one.:confused: As far as I am concerned when you have landlubbers aboard just shout, "Hey, pull on that thingy over there and wrap it around the Gazoola." They ain't gonna get sheet in the genoa.

Status
Not open for further replies.