Nothing Runs Like A Deere

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wish the deer were trained here in Oregon. The visit but choose to eat the roses, vegetable garden, the expensive dahlias, and other assorted plants all of which cost much more than the grass.

They don’t touch the grass. I take it back. They leave the digested veggies on the grass.
3E34564F-E20E-41DE-99D2-1C6E80A714DF.jpeg

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
The yearling doesn't seem
Isn't it great to have nature in the back-yard? A little hard on the fruit trees though. Wish we could train them to eat weeds instead! I've put up a lot of 6 foot fence since buying this property

Jan 5, 2017
Hi John
Not sure if deer were invented by the garden shops or the fencing companies. Either way they cost us $

Oct 22, 2014
6 foot fence
Is a short step over for the deer here. I put up a 6footer and they sprang over it while I was standing there. Made me want to slip a slug into my shotgun. I’ve learned they can clear 8 ft. Local farmers suggest 12 ft fence if you want to keep them out. But make it strong. They will run into it. If it gives they will keep at it till they knock it down.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
They eat well enough at the Troyer abode to easily clear 6’ without a running start

Oct 22, 2014
I’ve heard stuff and things grow smaller in the cold... on Seinfeld I think they called it shrinkage.

Oct 22, 2014
Well he did need to do a zoom in at the start of the video. Maybe too hard to tell.

See that he is getting a heat wave this week. Supposed to get up to 29. Break out the shorts and tee shirt.

Jan 5, 2017
OK. That's shorts and T-shirts in Alberta. Spent 1 winter there at 4FTS about 100miles south of Chris. One day at -106F (with W/C) the next at -40F felt positively balmy. Made me realise I was a wet,warm west coast boy.

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
Its been -20's and 30's C the last couple weeks. -40's with windchill. It is warming up next week but i'll be in Cuba, hopefully sailing.
The mule deer definitely aren't midgets here. Lots of hunters come to alberta looking for trophies. I like seeing them in the yard so I hunt elsewhere. We even get the odd moose. They are fun to see.

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
Enjoy! I'll be here working on the boat waiting for May to start the next trip. Done B.V.I. for sailing but never Cuba.
This trip is our second. Going to an all inclusive. With 2 teenage boys, we make our money back in food. The sailing will be on the resort hobbie cats. Usually within a couple days they just let me take it out myself. Each resort is different though. As long as I'm on the water I'm happy.
I recommend cuba if you haven't been. Great people, really love us Canadians too. There is a lot of poverty but strangely, they are happier than most people I know at home.
Once we go liveaboard I know we will be exploring more of it.
Most of our sailing trips have actually been your back yard. chartered in the gulf islands may 2016 and 2017.