Notes on White Cove, and Yesterday’s Channel Crossing

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi. This thread follows one I began a few weeks ago on a pending cruise to Santa Barbara Island, but which has a new focus, so I’ve started it fresh. White Cove is a recessed area, hence a “cove“, along the north coast of Santa Catalina Island just SE of Long Point, which itself is a feature maybe two miles off the mid-point between Avalon and Two Harbors. Altogether there are three distinct areas populated by moorings that the Island Company rents to boaters. White Cove is the principal one. The one to the northwest of White is Hen Rock, and the one to the southeast is Moonstone Beach. As the moorings do not extend far from shore, there is room to anchor seaward of the moorings in modestly “deep“ water, say 40 ft, and still be within the shelter the cove offers. That shelter is principally from wind out westerly quadrants and south, with some shelter from wind (and sea) from north.

It was windy early Monday morning in Avalon, wind arriving from the northwest. Unusual. We motored the 4.3 n.mi. northwest to White Cove. All three mooring fields were empty of yachts.The Harbor Master’s sailboat was the only one present. He assigned us one three or four cans northwest of him. NOAA forecast was northwest winds, 15 to 20 kt, gusting to 25, throughout the afternoon/evening into the night. The winds came from off the island and blew across our stern which was facing the island. I saw gusts to nearly 30. The NOAA update at 1600 upgraded the wind conditions to SCA in our zone until late Monday night. Nice protection!

Tuesday was a lot milder so four yachts arrived from Newport Beach by evening that day, where all anchored close to the mooring fields but seaward. Something I have not see a lot of at Catalina Island when there are plenty of moorings available.:doh: The Wednesday wind forecast was West at 10 to 15 kt in the afternoon. Perfect! That put our destination home bearing about 26 deg T with true wind from the west at likely 15 kt, and with low seas. And so it was.

Departing around noon, and once beyond the sheltering effects of the Island, we saw the West wind rise steadily to 15 - 16 kt approaching mid-channel and remain there until nearing Long Beach where it increased to over 20. When I was on course (about half the time :what:), the apparent wind was abeam, SOG in the high 7s and low 8s. But it was lumpy. Sailed into Los Alamitos Bay w/o gybing a course correction or going to a run. (It’s important to miss the sea wall coming in!). This morning both Admiral and I were totally worn out still, but happy. It was one of those rare sails where you are at the right place & right time!:)

I recommend White Cove.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Thanks for the report.

It's been a few years since I've been to White's. I'm curious as to how you found the cell phone reception. Cell coverage at Avalon and Two Harbors is excellent, but I've found White's to be marginal sometimes. (My carrier is Verizon.)

Also, I realize you were on a mooring this particular time, but in your experience, where do you like to anchor? I've anchored in different parts of the cove and haven't really settled on just the right spot.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks for the report.

It's been a few years since I've been to White's. I'm curious as to how you found the cell phone reception. Cell coverage at Avalon and Two Harbors is excellent, but I've found White's to be marginal sometimes. (My carrier is Verizon.)

Also, I realize you were on a mooring this particular time, but in your experience, where do you like to anchor? I've anchored in different parts of the cove and haven't really settled on just the right spot.
Cell phone service was OK, voice and text (Sprint); but, no internet access. I‘ve not anchored right in White Cove. We’ve done a couple times overnight at Buttonshell Cove (fairly deep in about 70 ft), and once several years ago outside the mooring field near Henrock in about 40 ft. Actually, we don’t venture down that far (SE) often, but we have also anchored overnight in Goat Harbor. Usually, we’re nearer Isthmus Cove and points NW, and around the west end into Cat Harbor. Until last week, Admiral and I decided it’s been since March of 2014 that we were together in Avalon. The yacht was in Ventura from May 2014 to December 2017. Last year it was in Port San Luis/Ventura for over six weeks.

White Cove is usually, from my observations, populated mostly by powerboats. The facilities, camps, ashore there are not public, so we have not seen it as so inviting. I had not considered anchoring there so close to the moorings as the other boats I mention had done. Last week the place was totally vacant. The shore camps/facilities basically closed. Lots of cans, no hassle, etc. So, we took a gander.

Our overnight at Henrock a few years ago was interesting. A weekend club outing. Several boats there; all but two of us on the cans. Saturday night a SE wind came up bringing some seas. (It was April.) The anchored yachts swung bow to the SE as per usual, and experienced a little pitching. The moored yachts were bow-stern aligned more-or-less NE-SW so were rocking most uncomfortably:yikes:. Watching them getting off the cans on Sunday was “amusing“ in a pathetic way, especially for those with rocks close abeam. The yacht serving breakfast that morning to the participants had real challenges. We were fine; but no one has seemed to wish for a second Henrock Cruise. So, I can’t really give you a solid referral for White Cove, yet.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Interesting you found decent cell service at Whites. I've been there where I have to dinghy out far enough to see Avalon to get cell rx. Maybe a new tower got added somewhere. (I also have sprint..)

I've used whites as a bail out point from Dana to the isthmus quite a few times. Or if I just want to stay on the boat.

Was going over to Two Harbors after leaving at noon or so (guests had time issues), afternoon wind picked up as usual, dead on the nose. Y'all know the drill, tack tack tack etc.... Wife really didn't like the points where we we're pointed right at long beach to try to make some northward progress. So the normal 6 hours to the lee of the island took much longer and the forecast for that night was dark.

No moon. Clear skies, but amazingly dark. First time I've seen the Milky Way in years. Guests are useless on helm. I'm pretty bad, Auto is Tango Uniform. Wife can hold a course like the boat is on rails. Never knew that. So we decide (8 hours or so into the trip) to bail out to Whites because it's not due west. Get to the lee of the island, kick the motor on but it's still pretty breezy.

So it's pitch black, very few boats on moorings, the deeper anchorage is full of giant poweryachts (musta been a thing... all 60+ footers) dodge around those, finally get back to the moorings and try to pick one up. Manage to get the first line up but it's completely fouled. Somehow I keep getting nailed with a flashlight and loosing night vision. (me to guest: "point the light at the floaty thing with the stick coming out of it." Guest (turns around and shines the light at me) "What?") Finally get moored, wine comes out, late dinner. Was amazing.

What did I learn? Hearing the surf behind you while trying to moor is disconcerting. (The balls are quite near the beach at Whites) The two-line mooring thing is easier with other boats around because it keeps your sense of direction. I also learned if you leave your mooring at Whites before the Island company guy shows up (9 am or so) you save some $$$ (That's ok. we gave it all back at Two Harbors... The Island Company always gets their pound of flesh...)

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Cell phone service was OK, voice and text (Sprint); but, no internet access. I‘ve not anchored right in White Cove. We’ve done a couple times overnight at Buttonshell Cove (fairly deep in about 70 ft), and once several years ago outside the mooring field near Henrock in about 40 ft. Actually, we don’t venture down that far (SE) often, but we have also anchored overnight in Goat Harbor. Usually, we’re nearer Isthmus Cove and points NW, and around the west end into Cat Harbor. Until last week, Admiral and I decided it’s been since March of 2014 that we were together in Avalon. The yacht was in Ventura from May 2014 to December 2017. Last year it was in Port San Luis/Ventura for over six weeks.

White Cove is usually, from my observations, populated mostly by powerboats. The facilities, camps, ashore there are not public, so we have not seen it as so inviting. I had not considered anchoring there so close to the moorings as the other boats I mention had done. Last week the place was totally vacant. The shore camps/facilities basically closed. Lots of cans, no hassle, etc. So, we took a gander.

Our overnight at Henrock a few years ago was interesting. A weekend club outing. Several boats there; all but two of us on the cans. Saturday night a SE wind came up bringing some seas. (It was April.) The anchored yachts swung bow to the SE as per usual, and experienced a little pitching. The moored yachts were bow-stern aligned more-or-less NE-SW so were rocking most uncomfortably:yikes:. Watching them getting off the cans on Sunday was “amusing“ in a pathetic way, especially for those with rocks close abeam. The yacht serving breakfast that morning to the participants had real challenges. We were fine; but no one has seemed to wish for a second Henrock Cruise. So, I can’t really give you a solid referral for White Cove, yet.:biggrin:
Thanks for the update. I've been to White's many, many times over the years but not lately. In fact, I just took a peek at my log and it appears that the last time I actually stayed there was Sept. of 2013. (I have passed by it several times since, however.)

The cell coverage was iffy at that time. Since I connect to the internet by tethering my laptop to my cell phone connection, if I don't have a solid cell signal I don't have solid internet, which I typically need on my trips. White's was never exactly one of my favorite places anyway, for some of the reasons you have mentioned.

I've anchored there a number of times but mostly in around 70' or so. There are places that come in at around 40' but I haven't found those to be the best locations for other reasons. Though I frequently see other boats anchored there I've never been much impressed with it as an anchorage. So I was just wondering what your experience has been in that regard.

I was going to go to Emerald this week but that plan got scrubbed. I may head over next week, but plans are again tentative.

Again, thanks for the latest info.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I've anchored there a number of times but mostly in around 70' or so. There are places that come in at around 40' but I haven't found those to be the best locations for other reasons. Though I frequently see other boats anchored there I've never been much impressed with it as an anchorage. So I was just wondering what your experience has been in that regard.

I was going to go to Emerald this week but that plan got scrubbed. I may head over next week, but plans are again tentative.

Again, thanks for the latest info.
Alan and jeepbluetj

Here are some pics I took Wednesday morning of boats anchored. I estimate that they are anchored in about 40 ft. We're in about 26-30 ft. Around the point at left is Buttonshell Cove. The two left-most yachts in the foreground (not the distant one) are anchored in a gap between White Cove center area and the Henrock moorings that I mention above; viewing N. There are no moorings seaward of the anchored yachts.

White Cove Viewing North.jpg

The pic below shows the emptiness of the place last week; viewing SW.
White Cove Viewing Southwest.jpg

Viewing S; moored yacht is that of the Harbor Master. Moonstone Beach is in the distant background beyond the moored dinghies.
White Cove viewing South.jpg

Last edited: