Note on maintenance from Mack Boring Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
thanks Steve thats some good info ......just wondering if anyone disagrees with any of that advice or has a different slant on any of it and if so what and why......

regards

woody

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yeah, good info, I could take issue with some of the recommendations as being simplistic or unfounded but in general they are good stuff. 1) Chemichally treated filter paper that prevents rust in the injectors? With the amount of fuel that passes through that filter and injector does any one believe in the effectiveness of a chemically treated elemnet? 2) Both regular and synthetic oils of the same grade will react similarly to engine operating temperatures. I don't use synthetic because it is expensive and gets dirty with combustion by-proucts just as fast as regular oil. 3) warnings on using other oil filters than Yanmar are unfounded. 4) If only the 30 microm filters are to be used for primary filters why does the manufacturer make other grades? I concur the 30 microm provides the best compromise for a small diesel in real life but is not a rule. 5) Don't think Rustoleum or Yanmar paint have any special rustproofing characteristics. Just make sure you clean and aneutralize any rust and apply a bonding agent and paint to the syrface. I understand the Mack Boring folks make a living selling original Yanmar parts so they can be expected to plug them whenever possible and also understand the note taker may have jotted down incomplete thoughts or reasons. But in general like I said the info is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.