Not the time to be cheap

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I was hooking up my flat bed trailer , when I noticed an oddly placed rust hole . Upon further inspection , I determined the factory installed receiver had rusted through
C83993D5-7B74-43F4-A5D0-08CC03E5A729.jpeg

I’m grateful to have caught it before I hooked up the boat . Until this happened to me I had never heard of this .
929DB565-DC05-409C-A2C1-66331120833C.jpeg

I ended up having use the ends of the ordinal to be able to mount the bumper . Do yourself a favor and check yours

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Nope ,not likely here in the upper midwest . Weird ..
Salt on the roads? Do you have a dirt driveway that you park your vehicle on? I do and I replace more ball joints, brakes and universals than I would if my driveway was paved. Especially if I don't drive the car much.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
No Will , the truck sits parked about 28 days a month on my asphalt driveway . There was no rust on the truck when I bought it 4 years ago . I have never seen this much rust on a vertical surface before .

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Just think about how many of those are out there, that shouldn't happen to an 11 year old, had to be some bad steel there.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Was this truck ever a rental vehicle, like U-Haul? I no people who have no tongue extension and will rent trucks to launch their boats and submerge the rear of the bed. A time or two in salt water would fill the tube up on the hitch and there is no paint inside.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
A rental ? Not likely ,I bought from the original owner who used it for hauling trailer for his contracting company . We've been dunking our rear ends in the water up here for many years . I use a 20' extension on the front of the trailer and I still need to back in enough the put the exhaust in the water . Even then all the brake lines ,differential and leaf springs are fine . Yes ,I check that stuff a couple times a year.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Looking at the orin photos, it appears bolts being over tightened depressing the tube in which may have weakened the tubing causing failure???

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Respectfully Dave ,I don't think so . The 2" square tube fits into a square hole on both ends I'm not understand how the bolt torque would affect it . The original reason for the post is to let others who trailer become aware that this may happen . It only takes a minute to get on your knees and take a quick look. Are all the bolts there ? Are any lose ? I couldn't even imagine the liability of a trailer coming loose on the interstate . So what if I'm insured to the hilt ? I wouldn't want to look in the mirror knowing I could have prevented something.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Having pulled boats as a dealer all over the eastern half of the country to include Canada and mexico, trust me you have not seen what I saw. It was just a question as it did appear that way but you are right to keep reminding to look at your equipment to make sure it is in working order. I have to living up on top of a mountain with a long driveway but the views are spectacular.