Not really a question, but a thanks!

NINEv2

Jul 21, 2020
Catalina 250 Black Hills
Hello all. About a year ago the wife and I decided to purchase a sailboat. After sniffing around the web I found this site and dove in. I started lurking, and eventually posting. The experiences I've read about have been invaluable, and some of you were cool enough to reach out to me personally with questions I've had as a first time buyer and total sailing noob. The good news is we've come to an agreement to purchase a '98 Cat 250 wing keel. Once the soon to be rechristened "Rough Trick" reaches her new destination we hope and plan to spend many summers on Flathead Lake lazing about. Or not. Or whatever we decide to do that day! We are most excited to say the least.

I just wanted to say thanks to the people who were good enough to chime in with their experiences and advice. I'm quite pleased with the deal we got and I don't think I'd have been able to do so without y'alls input (you in particular, Crazy Dave). So I'll be around a lot more begging for advice and experience.

Lucky yous!

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Flathead lake is beautiful! We have friends in Kalispell. Eat some cherries for us.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The 250 is a nice boat. I got a chance to sail one on Kerr reservoir once.

CONGRATS

and +1 on the pics

:)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats @NINEv2
A new boat and sailing on a beautiful lake in the middle of Big Sky country. It is almost as good as it gets.

In 2011 I got to visit and sail on the lake. While the winds were zephyrs the lake and surroundings were beautiful.

Looking forward to your pictures. :biggrin:

Please know "And, y'know, be begging for advice" begging is not allowed. Advise is freely given. Just note "you get what you pay for" is a phrase often used. :yikes:

Enjoy the boat and beside to use a proper new naming ceremony, or you may only experience zephyrs on the lake.

NINEv2

Jul 21, 2020
Catalina 250 Black Hills
Thanks all. The Flathead valley is indeed stunning. I've been fortunate to travel from the arctic circle to South Africa and many points between, and Glacier is still the prettiest country I've laid eyes on.

There are a few things that will help us offset the costs too. It has a custom tricycle launch trailer that I'm told could return a handsome price, and an 8hp yamaha that I think I'll sell for that nice little Tohatsu sailpro. Needs us some shore power installed that the yard quoted me a price of <$200. The guys at Dayton harbor have been awesome so far. Also the ex ex owner recustomized his sail with a hull number of "420". Seriously, how much money did he spend on that?!? We're going to get the original hull number back up when we eventually replace the main. I can't imaging standing and running rigging aren't going to need replacement soon.

I'll post pics once the deal is sealed this weekend (don't want to jinx anything). I'll pour a couple out for Poseidon when we do the re-christening. The Admiral isn't too particularly keen on the name though:laugh:

Anyone wanna haul 'er up from San Diego to Flathead in April? And then I'll have some questions about biminis :)

Jan 19, 2010
The Admiral isn't too particularly keen on the name though:laugh:
Well your intent with "Rough Trick" is a bit obscure so I can see where she is coming from but the name of a boat has to be a personal thing so if it works for the two of you then go for it. On the other hand, given the speed of sailboats and the lack of great wind where you plan to sail, the name "Pending Pending" (seen in your profile avatar) might be a good choice.:biggrin:

NINEv2

Jul 21, 2020
Catalina 250 Black Hills
It's an old family guy joke. Brian mocking Stewie on his future prospects: "I'm a pompous little anti-Christ who will abandon his plans for world domination after I move to New York and fall for a rough trick named Jim".

It got a hard laugh from me and an eye roll from everyone else. So... basically perfect.

And as for the sail number, any sailmaker can fix that right?

Jan 19, 2010
It's an old family guy joke. Brian mocking Stewie on his future prospects: "I'm a pompous little anti-Christ who will abandon his plans for world domination after I move to New York and fall for a rough trick named Jim".

It got a hard laugh from me and an eye roll from everyone else. So... basically perfect.

And as for the sail number, any sailmaker can fix that right?
Hey.. I'm not knocking the inside joke. I once did a complete restoration on a Coronado 23... gutted her to the stringers... and when I was all done, I oufitted her with solar and two electric trolling motors... and sails of course. I named her The Delta Gee and painted this on the transom...
Delta G new.png

The symbol delta is nerd speak for "Change" and the symbol G is nerd-speak for a thermodynamic term called " Gibb's Free Energy". When you put them together, the nerd-speak translation is a change in free energy...Sail + Electic Solar =
1615492167761.png

So my boat's name in non-nerd was "A change in free Energy".

I laughed everytime I saw my transom but I'm guessing the people on the docks thought I was bipolar 'cause I just walked around the docks quitely laughing under my breath. :biggrin::ass:

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
G is the symbol also for the universal gravitational constant

NINEv2

Jul 21, 2020
Catalina 250 Black Hills
G is the symbol also for the universal gravitational constant
Also has something to do with string theory, but I may be thinking of something else...? The delta G thing is awesome. Bet nobody else has that. Not another Irish Wake. Which is clever, but done to death.

We're drowning in puns.

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
Congrats, and I'll see you up there! I've been sailing Flathead for the last 2 summers, and will have a slip at Big Arm this coming summer. What are your plans for storage/slip, if you don't mind?

NINEv2

Jul 21, 2020
Catalina 250 Black Hills
Congrats, and I'll see you up there! I've been sailing Flathead for the last 2 summers, and will have a slip at Big Arm this coming summer. What are your plans for storage/slip, if you don't mind?
Nice! We will be in Dayton. They seemed to have the best fees I could find and the staff is responsive. I'm hoping to have the boat transported by April 1st, and talking with Buck to see what we can get done before launching in May, then having one of them hang with us for an afternoon for a lesson. Need a new bilge sump ASAP, and a way to power it.

So if you see some dingus with "420" on his sail that's us, only we won't be selling any electric lettuce. Though I guess it is legal now in Montanny?

Apr 3, 2020
I'm sure we'll see each other then, I mostly sail around Big Arm bay, out around Wild Horse etc. Although with the new boat I may venture out into the main part once I get a feel for her. I had to go to ID for Serenade, and she's still not even here yet. I'm hoping to rectify that this weekend, then I'll be doing the same 'let's dig through everything and see what we have' dance.
I'm glad you found the staff responsive. Please be aware that the docks at Dayton are NOT protected if storms come from the northeast. They had a fair amount of damage a year or so back.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Congratulations on the new (to you) boat. May she always give you pleasure and a safe return home.

Any sailmaker can change numbers, or you can yourself if you're in the least handy. They're usually stick-on. You may want to take a hard look at the sails anyhow as most sailors don't change them often enough, so the likelihood is they're blown-out and give more heal than push.

That's what's great about this site - old sailors sitting around telling you how to spend your money! Cheers.:beer:

NINEv2

Jul 21, 2020
Catalina 250 Black Hills
I'm sure we'll see each other then, I mostly sail around Big Arm bay, out around Wild Horse etc. Although with the new boat I may venture out into the main part once I get a feel for her. I had to go to ID for Serenade, and she's still not even here yet. I'm hoping to rectify that this weekend, then I'll be doing the same 'let's dig through everything and see what we have' dance.
I'm glad you found the staff responsive. Please be aware that the docks at Dayton are NOT protected if storms come from the northeast. They had a fair amount of damage a year or so back.
I read about that in the Beacon. Harbor master said it was mostly people who didn't tie up their boats correctly? And I know mountain weather is super goofy but how often do storms come out of the NE?

Also, any identifying marks on your boat to ID in passing?

And thanks, Dano and Parsons!

Apr 3, 2020
I don't think those storms are common, but they do occur. You'll know it's me on the water because I always wear my straw cowboy hat to help with sun protection, look for the sailing cowboy. :)

NINEv2

Jul 21, 2020
Catalina 250 Black Hills
I don't think those storms are common, but they do occur. You'll know it's me on the water because I always wear my straw cowboy hat to help with sun protection, look for the sailing cowboy. :)
I'll do that.

I don't suppose theres a trustworthy carfax equivalent for boats that someone could point me to?