Norwegian Shipping Going Electric

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Norwegian Shipping Going Electric... and autonomous

I applaud the idea of reducing emission but maybe stay away from Norwegian waters until they get the bugs sorted out of the autonomous operation

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
At least the containers shouldn't fall off that one. Now if we can keep it from doing a Golden Ray maybe we'll have something.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Saw a similar item. The intended use is pretty limited at this time and the autonomous feature is a few years away. Crews will be manning the ship until everyone is satisfied.

Many Norwegian ferry are electric.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The Norwegians are pretty far ahead of us in this area.... interesting things to be learned. If you've been following "Sailing Uma", the kids have spent the last year cruising Norway... and way farther north even... quite fascinating.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
:clap:

I applaud the idea of reducing emission but maybe stay away from Norwegian waters until they get the bugs sorted out of the autonomous operation
It's not like we have all the bugs work out of our current way of shipping.

Next, autonomous cruiseliners.:beer:

-Will

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Right now we need autonomous unloading, rather than autonomous ships.

I always hate the way they advertise zero emission, but yet it runs on electricity generated by emission producing generators. Unless they build a nuclear powered ship, emissions are produced.

BUT we should all be reminded that the survival of a boat or ship in a storm has more to do with the captain and crew than it does with the ship itself. There is a reason for that.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I second the notion that if the electricity is created by carbon emitting fossil fuels there is as much or more emissions than if the propulsion were oil driven.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Here in Massachusetts the plan for reducing carbon emissions relied heavily on getting more hydropower generated in Canada delivered over a new overhead power line. Power line project had been proceeding smartly until today. Citizens in Maine have overwhelmingly voted to halt the power line project passing from Canada through Maine woodlands to Massachusetts. The typical cluster we have come to expect. Remember the nuclear waste repository project? There are strategically placed obstructionists everywhere. No good idea can come to fruition when logical thinking is abandoned.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I always hate the way they advertise zero emission
That's why I called it "reducing emission" and not zero emissions. I agree it is misleading.
With cars, about half of the lifetime carbon footprint is from manufacturing the car, half from driving it (for a standard fossil fuel burner). Commercial ships run more miles over their lifetime than a typical car and burn a lot more fuel per mile than cars so that ratio is likely much different. Still something to consider.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Here in Massachusetts the plan for reducing carbon emissions relied heavily on getting more hydropower generated in Canada delivered over a new overhead power line. Power line project had been proceeding smartly until today. Citizens in Maine have overwhelmingly voted to halt the power line project passing from Canada through Maine woodlands to Massachusetts. The typical cluster we have come to expect. Remember the nuclear waste repository project? There are strategically placed obstructionists everywhere. No good idea can come to fruition when logical thinking is abandoned.
That was the most difficult vote I've had to make, living in Maine, Roy. We discussed what other family and friends thought of the issue and how they would vote, at length.

I think in the end, CMPs dwindling customer satisfaction is what turned against them. I believe their service has gotten worse in the last 20+ years, rates have climbed and outages are on the rise, especially in rural areas (most of marine). CMP's taking great care of shareholders though.

Despite many more millions poured in from CMP and Hydo Quebec, they never did a very good job of revealing/explaining positive effects toward environmental improvement. Too much oil lobbying influence on both sides.

In the end, with mixed emotions, I voted NO,...which means YES to the corridor (another problem with the vote), solely for environmental reasons; I'm tired of too little being done to lower fossil fuel emissions. I lost.

Electricity is quickly on the rise as an energy source so any grid improvement should be considered a plus, but this one has too many problems in it's present state. They may fix that.

• Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Right now we need autonomous unloading, rather than autonomous ships.

I always hate the way they advertise zero emission, but yet it runs on electricity generated by emission producing generators. Unless they build a nuclear powered ship, emissions are produced.

BUT we should all be reminded that the survival of a boat or ship in a storm has more to do with the captain and crew than it does with the ship itself. There is a reason for that.
This will vary by state. In NY almost half all electricity is generated by nuclear and "noncombustible" renewables, mostly hydro, wind and some solar. The other half is generated by natural gas, which is cleaner than coal and oil, but not without its own problems.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
This will vary by state. In NY almost half all electricity is generated by nuclear and "noncombustible" renewables, mostly hydro, wind and some solar. The other half is generated by natural gas, which is cleaner than coal and oil, but not without its own problems.

True, our sources for electricity are changing:
  • In 2020, 79% of Maine's electricity net generation came from renewable energy, and hydroelectric power provided the largest share at 34%.
  • Maine ranks sixth in the nation in the share of its electricity generated from wind. In 2020, wind provided about 24% of Maine's in-state net generation.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Biggest problems with electric boats is the getting the long extension cord made to handle it

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
When the automobile was produced and sold to the public, they hadn't built the roads to handle them first. City streets were intended for foot traffic and the auto industry had to lobby to make it illegal to walk down the middle of the streets that formerly had been exclusively for walking. Sidewalks were built after the car was popular.

From a historical point of view, it makes sense that we produce the vehicles ahead of the infrastructure. It will come.

-Will

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
This custom Tripp design was just launched in our harbor. It's no longer surprising that it has E-propulsion. A hybrid with a small diesel that will generate power when needed. Tomorrow is here. Nice lines:
Mist in slings-2.jpg

More surprising are cedar decks (teaks out of favor, too):

MIST_.jpg

A retracting keel. Shoal draft at the touch of a button. I like that. Bulb keel should connect to lobster gear like a magnet to iron filings(don't like that).

IMG_3453.jpeg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Modern commercial ships are practically autonomous anyway. Computers, satellites, robotics, are an integral part of today's ships. They're so big they need sensors all over and sophisticated radar, sonar etc. to tell the crew what's going on... So why not just guide them remotely and use the living quarters for additional revenue.:)