• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

NorthWest Weather

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I just read this forecast for our PacificNW. As some of you know, I canceled my scheduled haul out for today due to high winds forecast and chilly temps for next week. the Chilly Weather occurs when the Yukon High Pressure Dome set up camp. It brings chilled Arctic air down on the east side of the Cascades and then flows west into the Puget Sound/BC coast through the Fraser Gap and into Southern Washington and Oregon through the Columbia Gorge.

The weather conditions are setting up to give us a Taste of Winter a bit early. If you have not begun setting your boat up for a PacificNW winter you had better consider this Weekend (Saturday) your deadline.

Today Rufus is sharing his near term outlook.

Friday November 4​
Are you ready? Hold your warm Mug tightly. A winter pattern is about to arrive, as is heavy rainfall & strong winds.​
Today through early Saturday expect rain to be steady & heavy. While pinpointing the exact area the ‘jet stream’ will focus on may be challenging, the powerful mid-level winds will trigger major rainfall totals for a large swath of the PNW west of the Cascades. Initially, the freezing level will also be high (~7,000 ft), which means much of that moisture early on in this event will NOT be held up in the mountains as snow. Streams/Rivers will rise rapidly. Localized flooding will be an issue. Heed Nat’l Wx Service watches/warnings. Furthermore, WIND today and this evening will be strong enough to topple trees or break limbs (many still holding ’sails’ - leaves), so power issues are probable. A short break in the action is on tap for late Saturday, but by Sunday, another WET and COLDER system will drape over the PNW, adding to high water issues.​
COLD. As the Sunday storm front passes, the coldest air of the season will flow in behind. This will be enforced by a Yukon High pressure dome (modeled in the 1045-1050 mb range) which will shift south, setting up STRONG WINDS out of the Fraser River Gap first, then down the Columbia Gorge early next week. Spokane will also experience powerful winds Mon & Tue. Temperatures will be cold enough for SNOW down to very low elevations, if not the valley floor, if there is moisture in the area. For now, the models track most of the moisture south into California following the Sunday front. However, moisture spinning northeast from the Sunday Low (that will position itself just off the coast of southern OR), may present snow/rain mixed at the surface under showers that will form over western OR; accumulations not expected below 1,000 ft., as the ground will be rather warm. That said, we will experience overnight subfreezing temperatures, esp in wind sheltered areas, once the air dry down on Tue. Expect mid-20s overnight Tue & Wed, Nov 8,9. HARD FROST.​
The east to NE winds should diminish by Wed afternoon for all areas. Temperatures will slowly moderate; fog may form late week. Right now, the models are holding any moisture from another storm well off the coast for a few days. That means the Friday threat for freezing rain in the Columbia Gorge is low. Should the system track closer to OR, as was projected a couple days ago, frozen precip would be an issue.​
The weekend of Nov 12,13 is trending relatively dry, with an east-to-NE wind picking up just a bit, limiting fog formation. The dry pattern may hold through Wed Nov 16, before systems slowly work their way closer & closer to the PNW from the west as the week ends. Stormy conditions may return after Thu Nov 17.
Overall, an early winter-like pattern is developing for the PNW. We always monitor High pressure over the Yukon area as a precursor to cold snaps in the region. The “Yukon Dome” expected next week is quite early. If not already done, winterize irrigation/plumbing systems before Tue. The short break late Sat may give you a muddy chance.​
A quip from the ’Net: “My new SUV has a button that says, ‘Rear Wiper’. I’m afraid to push it."
-Rufus​

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I feel your pain.There was a time in my career when I traveled frequently to Seattle from New England. All together, I probably made 20 to 30 trips over about 5 years. It is certainly a beautiful area but I remember one sunny day out of all those trips. it wasn't heavy rain but it was wet consistently, showers, drizzle but no steady sunny skies. The temperatures were mild and sometimes there would be a very nice early morning, but then the clouds rolled in. I almost never saw the Olympic Mountains (is that what it is called?) across Puget sound. They were constantly covered in clouds and fog.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Upstate NY in shorts and a T-shirt. It was 73°,
I wonder has the planet flipped. It seems we are getting your weather and you are getting our...

Really no complaints (no on listens) we needed the rain. This summer was very dry. My bad luck just was timing. Took a long time too resolve the problem on the engine. Then the normal delays in planning and project acceptance. Had hoped for one more nice week of weather. Just did not happen. Well maybe will get a week this winter. If so I'll jump on it. If not, then when spring springs, I'll be ready.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Thanks John. Yahoo!. My procrastination paid off. I guess I will have to wait a while longer to take the canvas off and put the tarp on.