North Shore Canvas winter cover experience

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Anyone have any experience with a North Shore Canvas winter cover?

We bought one last year and are very disappointed. It doesn't fit to allow closure all around. The owner keeps saying to stretch it, but I think it just doesn't fit despite being custom measured.

It should not be this hard to put on. I would not buy from this company again.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I would INVITE the builder over to stretch it on... If he can't.. QED ! If he can, you've learned how...

Jul 8, 2005
I would INVITE the builder over to stretch it on... If he can't.. QED ! If he can, you've learned how...
Yes, I did that last Fall and he never showed.
Spoke to the owner yesterday and asked again.
Told him I would continue NOT RECOMMENDING this company.
North Shore Canvas out of New York.

• Wow

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Sorry to hear that, nothing more frustrating than being disappointed. Maine Sail recommended Fairclough covers years ago and I had one on my C30. I just ordered one for my 393 and they didn't measure my boat beforehand. I know the canvas will shrink after it's installed.

Attachments

Jul 8, 2005
Sorry to hear that, nothing more frustrating than being disappointed. Maine Sail recommended Fairclough covers years ago and I had one on my C30. I just ordered one for my 393 and they didn't measure my boat beforehand. I know the canvas will shrink after it's installed.
Good luck! Hope you have a great experience.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Sorry to hear of your agro. Never understood how someone expects to grow a business without exceeding customer expectations. Certainly helps the shrink wrap guys.

Jul 8, 2005
UPDATE: after 2 years of sending pictures of the cover, the owner stopped by today and conceded the front was not right. The front zipper was put on backwards and it too short. He said he will fix for free. Should not have been this hard...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I purchased a cover from a manufacturer in FL. They said that they had the design for my O’Day 322, but they wanted a lot of measurements…

When I go the cover, there were openings for stanchions that were no there :huh:

I used the cover that winter (it was late when I got it) and made arrangements to return it to the manufacturer in the spring to have it corrected.

Even today, I think that the isn’t quite right, but overall, better than a tarp.

if I had it to over again, I would have paid more to have come down over the toe rail farther.

8D3D9F20-A747-4193-BDBD-B49B1E2F3EE8.jpeg

Greg

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
I don't question your experience with the company as I've heard similar accounts from others.

We appear to be in the minority in that we had a pretty good experience with the North Shore Canvas store, but not perfect. The woman I dealt with when initially purchasing the cover was very pleasant, responsive and helpful. I think this will be our 12th season with the cover (an over the toe rail version), all in New England Winters, and the boat has always been stored in direct coastal locations. Overall I think it has been a good value and it fits very well. There are some details they could improve on (and they may have since we bought ours), but I've only had to make a few small repairs over the years.

On our build, the plastic fasteners they used for closing the flaps around the stanchion/shroud openings were a little flimsy. Some eventually popped off when under tension (they sent me replacements at no charge but even those would pop off on occassion). They should have double stitched areas, particularly around the stanchions and mast flaps (I've since repaired these areas). Similar to Tally Ho, our cover had a couple of 'extra' openings for stanchions but they close off easily with the supplied fasteners - and since those openings aren't under tension, it's never been an issue. The weight of the material is good - it's durable, still repels water (the covers are NOT designed to be water tight) and it's light enough to easily move the cover around when installing and storing. It's showing some wear in areas that chafe against angled fiberglass/winches when under a snow load, but this is to be expected after 11 seasons. I now put fenders near these areas so any chafe is against the rubber and not a hard surface. They used very good zippers and the 3 panel design is extremely convenient (and well labeled for installation). We bought a conversion kit to use the cover when the mast was down - this was a complete joke and not usable at all - this is the largest criticism I have of them.

I think the cover has a few more seasons left barring any unusual events. 12-15 seasons is very respectable (paid for itself after 3 seasons vs. shrink wrap plus we're not tossing a cover into the landfill every season). I really like the 'frame-less' design (w/ mast up), and the ability to put it on/off on our schedule with a single person. It's been very effective at keeping debris out of the boat and has always stood up to the snow load. While I'd buy from North Shore again, I might consider different vendors due to the experiences I've read about the company and features available from other vendors that do a 3 panel design.

Jul 8, 2005
I purchased a cover from a manufacturer in FL. They said that they had the design for my O’Day 322, but they wanted a lot of measurements…

When I go the cover, there were openings for stanchions that were no there :huh:

I used the cover that winter (it was late when I got it) and made arrangements to return it to the manufacturer in the spring to have it corrected.

Even today, I think that the isn’t quite right, but overall, better than a tarp.

if I had it to over again, I would have paid more to have come down over the toe rail farther.

View attachment 199632

Greg
Hi Greg,

Cover will keep snow and ice off which is key in Chicago.
Have a good winter!

Chris

Jul 8, 2005
I don't question your experience with the company as I've heard similar accounts from others.

We appear to be in the minority in that we had a pretty good experience with the North Shore Canvas store, but not perfect. The woman I dealt with when initially purchasing the cover was very pleasant, responsive and helpful. I think this will be our 12th season with the cover (an over the toe rail version), all in New England Winters, and the boat has always been stored in direct coastal locations. Overall I think it has been a good value and it fits very well. There are some details they could improve on (and they may have since we bought ours), but I've only had to make a few small repairs over the years.

On our build, the plastic fasteners they used for closing the flaps around the stanchion/shroud openings were a little flimsy. Some eventually popped off when under tension (they sent me replacements at no charge but even those would pop off on occassion). They should have double stitched areas, particularly around the stanchions and mast flaps (I've since repaired these areas). Similar to Tally Ho, our cover had a couple of 'extra' openings for stanchions but they close off easily with the supplied fasteners - and since those openings aren't under tension, it's never been an issue. The weight of the material is good - it's durable, still repels water (the covers are NOT designed to be water tight) and it's light enough to easily move the cover around when installing and storing. It's showing some wear in areas that chafe against angled fiberglass/winches when under a snow load, but this is to be expected after 11 seasons. I now put fenders near these areas so any chafe is against the rubber and not a hard surface. They used very good zippers and the 3 panel design is extremely convenient (and well labeled for installation). We bought a conversion kit to use the cover when the mast was down - this was a complete joke and not usable at all - this is the largest criticism I have of them.

I think the cover has a few more seasons left barring any unusual events. 12-15 seasons is very respectable (paid for itself after 3 seasons vs. shrink wrap plus we're not tossing a cover into the landfill every season). I really like the 'frame-less' design (w/ mast up), and the ability to put it on/off on our schedule with a single person. It's been very effective at keeping debris out of the boat and has always stood up to the snow load. While I'd buy from North Shore again, I might consider different vendors due to the experiences I've read about the company and features available from other vendors that do a 3 panel design.
You should look at The Canvas Store (Canvas Boat Covers in NY | The Canvas Store). Like our design, they have 3 piece covers. A boat near us has their cover and it fits great.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hi Greg,

Cover will keep snow and ice off which is key in Chicago.
Have a good winter!

Chris
Yes, that is for sure. We get a lot of freezing rain, sleet, snow and ice so I am trying to protect the deck and all of the nooks and crannies that could be damaged, Plus, the other half of the time we get clear, bright (albeit cold) skies, so keeping the UV off the hatches, etc is an added benefit.

Greg