North Salish Sea Tour

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
We planned a little holiday tour of the North Salish Sea with a guest. Planned pick up was in Sidney so we spent a couple of days there picking up supplies and doing routine maintenance. I noticed the oil level was a little high after a recent oil change. Do I have diesel fuel leaking into my crankcase? Picked up an electric fuel pump to take along just in case it’s the lift pump.
First leg of the journey was to Clam Bay. I removed a little more oil and wired in the electric fuel pump.
BD93D69C-0C91-4D45-B92E-19E87B3B345B.jpeg
Clam Bay to Northwest Bay and the oil level looked OK. Problem solved? Onward to Comox.
79AF843F-A04E-44E3-A225-6861B5A416A7.jpeg
Comox to Taku in Drew Harbour was a long motor. Absolutely no wind! We spent a couple of days here visiting my old high school buddy then moved up to the Octopus Islands to relax and do some kayaking. Oil level seems to be behaving itself.
Made a early morning departure to make the tide at Hole-in-the-wall. Just entering the narrows and the motor goes crazy. Luckily I had recently read a thread on SBO that told how to shut down a runaway engine. A cheese cutting board over the air intake worked great. Drained a bunch of oil and refilled with good, and still made the tide for Hole in the wall. Off to Von Donup. Every thing looked good just before we left Von Donup but the engine took off again on the way out. We managed to get going again and had a good sail back to Taku where I did another oil change.
I was getting a little paranoid by now and was shutting down and checking oil levels every 30min. of run time. Sailed most of the way down to Comox and made some phone calls to diesel mechanics. We have an appointment with the engine doctor mid Sept.
Ever since making our appointment the engine has run like a top. Motored from Newcastle to home , a six hour run, with no problem. I hate problems that solve themselves. You just know they will come back and bite your butt.F470F85A-A28A-40B6-BA7F-3CB997E9EE0D.jpeg Newcastle Island
A58030B5-1AE9-47F4-A8CD-C65226EB08FA.jpeg North Humberland channel headed for Dodd Narrows.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Sound like blow by from your engine crankcase vent that would give extra fuel to the intake giving the engine runaway condition. You need to do a compression check. If the problem has been resolved it could of been carbon build up and cleaned itself over time.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Thanks Leo. The more things to look at the merrier. I didn’t think of that, was more thinking injectors or injection pump. I’d rather it was something less expensive of coarse.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
The increase oil level was a clue that the rings did not seal giving high blow by to the intake, had the same problem on a old car took a long time finding it.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Michael, I do hope your engine did a little self healing. A puzzle for sure. It seems you had a great time on the water albeit a bit nerve racking. Thanks for the nice pics.