North East visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2011
Macgregor 25 Sacramento, CA
We're flying out to N.H this weekend and plan to spend a week or so touring the area. One item on our plan is that where we're staying in Acadia ME. they say they rent sailboats right next door so we plan to sail there for sure. This is our first trip out that way so curious if there are other places/things we shouldn't miss sailing wise while out there. We'd like to get out on the water a few times so any info or tips would be appreciated we'd love to see some of the area from the water as well as land. Seems to be a number of sailing tours so if anyone knows of good ones that would be great. Our plan is to fly into NH then go down to Cape Cod area for a couple days then head up to Vermont through the White Mountians, hit Naples lake and up to Acadia and then back down to Mass ond back out from NH. It's all new to us and tons to see but as a west coast sailor this area seems as one we shouldn't miss.

thanks,

edit changed Acadia MA to ME

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Did you mean Acadia, Maine (ME)? MA = Massachusets.
Great time of year for a visit.
Enjoy.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Sounds like a whirlwind trip to me but you might as well take in as much as you can in the time you have.
Acadia Park should give you a good feel for Maine's rocky coast. Sample the cold water lobsters.
Mt. Washington in NH is the tallest hill in the northeast that you can drive most of the way up. I'll bet the foliage has already started to turn a bit.
There should be some whale watching tours near the Cape of Cod.
Your itinerary sounds pretty nice to me.
Folks who are more New England local should be able to give you more.

Aug 29, 2010
Catalina 34 Portland, ME
While you're in Acadia check out Schoodic Peninsula. It's pretty spectacular. It's the only part of Acadia that's on the mainland. Bar Harbor is right there too, it's a nice town and shouldn't be too crowded this time of year.

Steve

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Well, I guess now you're in Acadia. Trees should be starting to turn. I was going to suggest that the rental boats might have closed shop for the fall since it's well after Labor Day. I guess you'll see. If you are able to snag one, a visit to Little Cranberry might be nice, or head up into Somes Sound - the only actual fijord on the East Coast, from what I've heard. Hiking in Acadia is great, of course. If you get tired of that, a visit to Woodenboat in Brooklin is always fascinating. The public library there exhibits original drawings from E.B.White's (Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little etc.) books. "Blueberries for Sal" was written in nearby Bucks Harbor. The General Store there has not changed much, though it is a bit fancier than the one in Brooklin.

Oct 14, 2007
Pearson P30, P34 Maine
Whirlwind tour!

Not sure if the Acadia National Park part of the trip has happened yet but to try to do Acadia in a day or two is pretty ambitious. Bar Harbor is for the tourists, Southwest and Northeast Harbor is for boaters. I prefer Northeast but it's almost choosing Coke or Pepsi. You'll probably have better luck for a charter at Southwest. But if I only had a day or two on MDI (Mount Desert Island) I'd spend at least one day hiking.

Consider getting your sailing in at Camden or Rockland.

Aug 20, 2011
Macgregor 25 Sacramento, CA
Thanks all for the tips, we are in cape cod now and headed to Newport in the morning. We are going to try and get on the water there it rained the last two days and it's clearing now so should have some breezes.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Thanks all for the tips, we are in cape cod now and headed to Newport in the morning. We are going to try and get on the water there it rained the last two days and it's clearing now so should have some breezes.
Have a great time in Newport. My wife and I met one Halloween evening in Newport and it remains my favorite town...I was lucky enough to live in a mansion, i.e. Bonniecrest out on Ocean Drive...She was in college there..We get back from Kansas as often as possible. There are several great Italian restaurants there; the Black Pearl is fun in the evening...it goes on and on.
My friend Bill and I try to attend the Newport Boat Show in Sept. and have enough memories of Newport for a lifetime....Have a great time! Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.