North Carolina Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
We are planning a 2 week cruise to the Albermarle and possibly the Panlico Sound in June and would like some ideas as to where to visit and spend most of our time. I have traveled the ICW, but have never ventured off of it, so any place would be new. It may be to much to include the Panlico, but any suggestions would help. We draw 6 feet (H420) so I know there will be places off limits. If anyone also wishes to email, eternity420@comcast.net, me any additional ideas or information in addition to responding here it would be welcome. Thanks

K

KennyH

You need to travel very carefully

You need to be very careful with a 6 foot draft. Most boats have 5 feet or less in our area. You will have to be very careful everywhere you go. Manteo and Ocracoke should be on your list of great places. Manteo will be very difficult with your draft. New Bern should be fairly easy. Edenton should be able to get into as well. Washington I believe has enough water for you. Your draft will eliminate lots of very nice places. Great sailing in the Pamlico sound but pick your weather for the Albemarle or Croatan sounds. Good luck!

J

John

New Bern

New Bern is a nice town to visit. We sailed our Catalina 320 from the Hudson River, NY down to New Bern last June and had no problems. We draw 4'10". WE now live in this lovely town. New Bern has some attractions you can walk to and restaurants near by the Sheraton Marina ( 252-638-3585. If you have any questions you can contact me at JSAIL320@COX.NET. John

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
Pamlico Sound

You might want to try Oriental it's supposed to be a wonderful place. We are looking for property there to retire. It should be deep enough. For more info, try the link below.

S

steve kamp

N.C. Sailing

Mike, try the Pamlico River from Bellhaven (on the ICW} to Washington, including a side trip to Bath, the home of Edward Teach/Blackbeard. Bellhaven to Washington is about 1/2 to 3/4 days sail, chanel is well marked and at least 12 feet. Most of the River is 12 feet for most of it's width, striking 7 feet or shallower generally around 100 yards from tree line. Bath and Washington have both town docks and marinas. The town docks are free overnight at Bath and 48 hours free at washington. There is an excellent waterfront fireworks display on July 4 at Washington, come early and get a good spot, there were several hundred boats either tied up or anchored last year. On the Albermarle you will be limited to visiting Edenton, Columbia and Elizabeth City due to draft and mast height. Plymouth has a fixed bridge at 44 feet and Hertford has a fixed bridge at 33 feet. As mentioned in one of the other responses the Neuse River from Oriental to New Bern is also a good trip. Steve and Sheila Kamp H 38 Carolina Currently at McCotter's on Broad Creek

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
Fairfield Harbour

My wife and I have started looking at property in the New Bern/Oriental area. We are planning a trip to the area this summer. Can anybody offer any advice or information on the Fairfield Harbour development? Are there similar developments in the Oriental area?

Feb 15, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Balt/Annapolis/New Bern
Get Claiborne Young's book on NC..

well worth the bucks. link below. He grew up here and adds a special touch to NC. My vote for New Bern, Ocracoke, Washington, Bath. And of course Oriental is NC's self-proclaimed sailing capital of the state! The Albemarle is nice but farily remote cruising. The rivers are really spread out and the waters can be treacherous. Pamilco is little less tricky than Albemarle.

C

cole

stay up there

You have it pretty good up there. You can power out thru all the crab traps and turn at the spider. WHY would you like to screw it up down here?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Mike , don't let Cole

Put you off. If you draw six feet there are a lot of places here that you cain't sail. It's your boat go where you like. I'll bet you can find a cruising guide like the one published by Chesapeake bay mag. for coastal NC. Enjoy the trip.

Feb 15, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Balt/Annapolis/New Bern
Depth is no different than the bay...

no as deep, but just as shallow. Done most parts of the Pamilico, some of the Albemarle, just plan ahead and watch where you go. Have friends in both places with 6' draft and they do just fine. My 37.5 has 5', so we're kinda both in the same boat, so to speak.

T

Tim

Fairfield Harbor

Fairfield harbor, with Northwest Creek Marina is a grand place to live and keep your boat. I lived aboard there last winter and enjoyed every monute of it. Great facilities, wonderful dockmaster and good people. Only 10 miles from New Bern, the best little town in NC (I am biased) and great sailing on the Nuese R. any time fo the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.