Nonsuch 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2005
- - Maine
I am thinking about purchasing a used Nonsuch 22 that appears in very good condition. This one has a mystery diesel. Can anyone help me out with some info? This will be my first boat purchase.

D

Debbie

I did it

I bought my first boat 2 yrs ago - a 30' Nonsuch. Still getting to know the big red monster that lives under the cockpit (aka my Westerbeke diesel)but we are gradually making friends. If you can, get a survey done of the boat and then a good mechanic to check over the engine. It might cost a little but you'll have a base from which to gauge your own use/care. I love my boat. Good luck in your search.

Jun 6, 2004
- - E. Greenwich, RI
Ditto, Debbie...

There's no replacement for a good survey. While Debbie is fortunate enough to be in the heart of Nonsuch country of New England where there are a number of surveyors familiar with the Nonsuch (I bought mine from Jim Eastland), you may not have as such good fortune down east. Ideally you'd like a surveyor who knows the brand and knows what to look for in this allegedly unusual rig. Shop around and ask TONS of questions! You will eventually find a surveyor you are comfortable with. Going rate where I am is around $15.00/ft. Cheers, Bob NS30C #77 Lazybones

D

Debbie

Nice boat!

Bob - In the spirit of questioning, may I ask where/who did your dodger/bimini? Do you have problems with the mainsheet chafing against the canvas? Looking around my boat yard I see a number of Nonsuchs that have stanchions mounted to support the back edge of the bimini frame but that didn't work for me. And, yes, I am lucky - Essex is a great boat town and I also bought my 30' from Jim.

B

Bob Todd

My canvas...

...was done by Thurston Canvas in Bristol, RI. Neil Thurston has built my canvas for my last two boats and does a wonderful job. This job was a total of $3,000.00 which included the dodger, bimini, and sail cover. He trimmed the trailing edge of the bimini with leather to offer chafe protection. However, I've not had any problems with chafe. The bimini frame is far enough forward to be out of the way of the mainsheet but far enough back so that it doesn't rain on me. I can take more detailed pics of the arrangement and e-mail them to you. My e-mail is: bat@sailonly.com Jim is a terrific person to deal with. He sold my boat to the PO when it was new. You may have seen it in the Dauntless yard, it was formerly called "Port O' Call" and was there for about a year until I snapped it up early last year. Did tons of work and made some major improvements. The following work was accomplished by me and a good friend: - Tore out every inch of wiring and completely rewired with Ancor marine grade both AC/DC - Installed new breaker panel and battery switch in custom enclosure above the nav station - Stripped and barrier coated the bottom - New head, holding tank, and macerator Because the engine died during the survey, Dauntless installed a 2004 Volvo/Perkins MD-2030 with 2004 MS25S saildrive compliments of the PO. I installed a Seahawk Slipstream stainless steel folding prop to replace the crummy old Volvo/Gori that wasn't worth dung. Bob NS30C #77 Lazybones

Status
Not open for further replies.