Non Slip Paint Additive ??

Mar 20, 2013
Hunter 27 MD
Hunter 27. Painting topside. They sell "non slip additive" - couple questions please:
  • Does it work ?
  • Can you see it much ?
  • Do you use on both horizontal and vertical surfaces ?
Thanks! I'd hate to have to paint twice with two different paint formulations.

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
Andy at boatworkstoday likes "softsand" product. I liked the idea of kiwigrip, until I saw the price. Some have recommended sand; but it occurs to me th as t it would be difficult to sand/grind if necessary for repairs/relocating. I believe I'd use ground walnut shell or similar.
HTH

Mar 20, 2013
Hunter 27 MD
Andy at boatworkstoday likes "softsand" product. I liked the idea of kiwigrip, until I saw the price. Some have recommended sand; but it occurs to me th as t it would be difficult to sand/grind if necessary for repairs/relocating. I believe I'd use ground walnut shell or similar.
HTH
Thanks. Northeast MD ? We're on Bohemia. I'm on a budget, looking at below.

My big question is does it look differently than just paint ? Do I only paint on horizontal surfaces ?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
This might not be a useful extrapolation given it isn’t on my boat but we do use paint with non-skid additives around pools here and the comparison might be helpful.

It does work but only if you add enough. How much is enough is an art form more so than an equation. Applied according to manufacturer recommendations resulted in waaaaaay too slippery on our pool area and had to be re-done.

It isn’t noticeable visually in our case even after the re-do. I wouldn’t hesitate to do similarly on a boat if we needed to....

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I believe I'd use ground walnut shell or similar. HTH
I would worry about that approach. Walnut shells are biodegradable and would likely rot over a relatively short period of time. My guess is the paint would fail shortly afterwords. It is the biodegradable character that makes ground walnut shells desirable for sandblasting. Any inhaled "dust" will eventually breakdown in your lungs and not lead to siliconosis of the lungs.

Jan 19, 2010
This might not be a useful extrapolation given it isn’t on my boat but we do use paint with non-skid additives around pools here and the comparison might be helpful.

It does work but only if you add enough. How much is enough is an art form more so than an equation. Applied according to manufacturer recommendations resulted in waaaaaay too slippery on our pool area and had to be re-done.

It isn’t noticeable visually in our case even after the re-do. I wouldn’t hesitate to do similarly on a boat if we needed to....
I have used pool products on boats before. I once restored a very badly damaged hull on a Coronado 23. After grinding the bottom to clean glass, I applied two coats of epoxy barrier coat from my local paint store. The barrier coat was sold for pools. It did a good job and held up for the three remaining years I owned the boat. It was only half the price of barrier coat sold for "marine" purposes. I would not recommend this for a higher end boat though.... just sayin'. But if you are on a budget I think @Don S/V ILLusion 's idea to use a non-skid for pools is worth exploring.:thumbup:

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
@ Delawaredave: I'm up at Hance's Point, inside Bay Boat Works. Boat buddy used the rustoleum paint. Holds up to UV well enough; but doesn't take heavy traffic w/o scuffs. AFA thier additive? I've looked at it, seems to be some sort of glass "beads".

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The PO of my last boat used Interlux's grip additive. It worked well and was easy on the feet. I don't think I ever got an abrasion scrape on my skin... At least not significant enought to remember. The boat collected a lot more dirt than factory gelcoat but we could have that 19 footer scrubbed in 30-45mins.

I've also read about using salt with paint and then washing it away afterwards. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Jan 19, 2010
I've also read about using salt with paint and then washing it away afterwards. Does anyone have any experience with this?
No but if you try it, please post a report of how it worked. Sounds interesting but I can also imagine a lot of reasons why it could fail miserably. If it were my boat, I'd test that idea on a very small section and see how it worked out before doing the entire deck.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
It's supposed to make small craters in the paint. I imagine it'd be flaking away for a little while after painting. I think I saw it on a boat at the boat show. It looked and felt pretty good