non-skid re-finish

• Thread starter mickey heinecken
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mickey heinecken

I have an 8.7 and some of the non-skid is in pretty poor shape . I'm thinking of repainting it and have expperimented with some non-skid granular material sold by west marine. I think in heard of someone who sprinkled salt on the wet paint and then painted over that . Any one have ideas of the best way to get a professional looking job

J

Jay S. Tracy, Jr.

Non-Skid

I am just about finished painting decks and cabin areas with the Awlgrip system. Non-skid is next. With the Awlgrip system you mix a special aggregate into the paint and paint it wherever you want. I tried it on the anchor locker cover which I had at home and it came out great. I did prime first with AwlGrip primer, but I did not first grind down the original cast (?) non slip surface. I believe all the other marine paint manufacturers use the same system and their products are much less expensive than Awlgrip. Because of the aggregate additive the paint doesn't run or sag so the non slip painting can be done by one person. Let us know what you decide and how you make out. Jay T C9.6 Payne SAR (Some ASSembly Required)

S

sandy Tucker

non skid

Hi I asked around at the harbor where I work, the best vote was for "Deck dust". it is a powder fine dust much like talc and you just paint the deck and then sprinkle it on and let it bond to the wet paint. It is said to be made of the left over plactic windscreens from fighter jets, ( who knows what it actually comes from) but it is a cool sounding story for an otherwise colorless dust. But the end result is fantastic so far.It is some of the best non skid I have seen, Just sweep off the extras and save them for another time. Do it when the dew is setting and the clean up is neater. It drys out and is fine for another boat . I got mine from FIBERGLASS HAWAII in Santa Cruz Ca. But it is most likely other places.For a 26 mk 2 one $11.00 pint of dust was plenty with sone left over. Good luck. Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.