Non-Skid Decks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Last boat I used Kiwi Grip and it worked well...
Before I go and "redo" my decks,
Any thoughts about different products or what the best way to make the decks look good again????

Nov 18, 2012
Catalina 77 - 22 / 75 - 30 Lake Arthur, LA
I just bought a couple of quarts of EZdeck by Pettit. Pretty good price from Wholesale Marine.
It's a nonskid deck paint that is pretty easy to apply, although at this point I'm only going by the web revues.

Jun 2, 2013
Catalina 27 Vancouver
I want to paint over the faded light blue (very 70's!) non-skid on my '74 Catalina, thinking about Interdeck, mixing 50:50 white and grey. Am concerned about not painting under the stanchions, don't want to take them off since recently rebedded, and worried that stopping the paint at the edge of the stanchion base will cause it to peel in 1-2 years.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I want to paint over the faded light blue (very 70's!) non-skid on my '74 Catalina, thinking about Interdeck, mixing 50:50 white and grey. Am concerned about not painting under the stanchions, don't want to take them off since recently rebedded, and worried that stopping the paint at the edge of the stanchion base will cause it to peel in 1-2 years.
Around some of my fittings, I carefully sanded and masked, and used a thinned coat if Kiwi-Grip to lay down a smooth section of color around stanchions, water filll, etc. After drying I masked a uniform width away from the parts I did not want to remove and then rolled on the thick texture coat. After pulling the tape I had a uniform width of smooth finish transitioning to the texture, all the same color.... It looks pretty good!

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I just put down Rustoleum Restore on our back porch over the weekend. It seems like it might be an alternative if it will stick to fiberglass. It comes in a variety of custom colors that can be mixed at Home Despot. Pretty gritty and goes on quite thick. Not sure I'd use the textured rollers on a boat, though. They tend to spatter, which could be bad.

Since the Admiral wanted a brown color I don't think I'll be trying it out on Verboten. If she'd agreed to gray I'd have been game to give it a try.

One strange thing about it. Usually when I paint something I find the second coat requires less paint than the first coat. I had maybe 1/2 gallon or so left in a new 4 gallon bucket after the first coat. I was literally scraping the paint out of the bucket to finish the second coat, from another new 4 gallon bucket. I'm thinking the additional texture really added to the surface area I had to cover!

Status
Not open for further replies.