Non-Clorox Water Tank Commissioning Alternatives?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
A friend of mine always puts a big bottle of cheap vodka
That works very nicely, if you have Aluminum water tanks.
Vodka will dissolve the Aluminum Chloride, white non toxic crystals.
These crystals tend to accumulate in the weld areas on tank bottom.
1) Mix a fifth of Vodka with a gallon of water.
2) Pour in near empty tank and let sit over night to dissolve Crystals.
3) Then add your peroxide to the the tank while filling.

This is cheap and 7% Hydrogen Peroxide. Commercial grade.
Amazon.com: Neutra Sul HP41N Professional Grade Oxidizer, Neutralize Rotten Egg Smells and Pollutants, 1 Gallon: Industrial & Scientific

Jim...

PS: I never add Clorox to my aluminum tanks.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I found to get the lines/faucets properly clean it is better to by-pass the tank. I take a 1/2" OD (I believe) hose and reach into the water tank and connect it to the discharge hole. Your size may vary; key is to get snug fit. Then I make a "fairly rich" blend of bleach and water and put it into a gallon jug and allow the water pump to pull it through the system, both faucets open. Allow to stand a bit. Then I wipe out the tank with Clorox Cleanup and add water and a bit of bleach to the tank and run the pump some more to rinse the lines and faucets of that "richer" solution. I use this technique to winterize with the glycol also as adding to the tank diluted it too much and I did not always get good freeze protection. Obviously your tank must have an access port installed on top of it to use this technique. I have not have any stinky water since doing this way a decade or so ago.