Noisy Solar Vent

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
You know what's worse than your solar vent motor slowly dying and making a horrible noise? Your neighbor's solar vent motor slowly dying and making a horrible noise while they are not on board and you're working right next to it all day. This is not a slight to my neighbor, he didn't know it was going to die, but it was not fun to listen to.
You will need sound on to really appreciate this video.

• Wow
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Sounds awful!! I do not know what is worst............a noisy solar vent or a clanging halyards?

Last edited:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Doesn't sound like it's about to die though. Sounds like he put a kazoo in the exit vent. You might be able to shut it down by putting a bucket over it while you're working.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Doesn't sound like it's about to die though. Sounds like he put a kazoo in the exit vent. You might be able to shut it down by putting a bucket over it while you're working.
In was thinking about covering it but didn't really want to go on the boat. The noise stopped for a while then came back not long before I finished up. The owner will be there on Friday since we are launching. I'm sure he will address it at that time if it hasn't died completely by then.

I feel bad for him, it looks like one of the old style and the new ones don't fit in the same hole.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Eclipse turns 40 this year. We had one of the REALLY old style Nicro-Fico units and the new one indeed needed a bigger hole, so we found out that the core was missing in an area about 2'x3' all around the vent. An interesting fix. Your neighbor's vent looks old, but still new style.

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
My Nicro solar vent purchased in 2008 died some time ago. I was planning to replace it, or (more likely) switch to the Marinco version which seems to get bettter reviews. But I stumbled across this European air-only (no solar) vent which got good reviews from Hallberg-Rassy so I decided to give it a try. May not be as much air flow as the solar, but presumably longer-lasting and seemingly leakproof according to reviews. (my Nicro vent leaked a bit on a recent long sail with a lot of water over the deck). Products – Air-Only deck ventilators