No reverse in 6 hp Mercury outboard

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
I need help fast (before the next weekend). I had an impeller changed by a "mercury authorized service" in February. I took the boat out for the first time today. I had a problem putting it into reverse, but managed to leave the dock. Coming back in, I realized I had no reverse. Luckily, I did not use Captain Ron's docking technique - I came in slow and cautious, so I managed to ALMOST not hit the dock. Anyway, testing the motor revealed that where I used to have reverse is now neutral (but not always), and where I had neutral is now forward. There is no reverse. So, here are my question:
  1. what could have happened?
  2. could changing impeller effect the linkeage?
  3. what are my chances of having the "authorized service" fix for free what they likely screwed up during impeller repair?
  4. what are my chances of fixing it before next weekend?
I appreciate any answers.
By the way, the engine is 5 years old and purchased from West Marine brand new. Never had ANY problems before this.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
That is a minor adjustment. It is a rod just below the handle with a set screw. You can adjust it while in water. Your Mercury mechanic can help with that as well.

Apr 5, 2015
Islander 26 Little Creek Navy Base
Piotr: Like Joe said. Fairly simple fix providing nothing got bent. A PITA to do if your transom engine bracket is low like mine.

By the way, here is a link to a outboard forum with some great folks. I have a Tohatsu 8 HP on my boat, and the folks were very helpful with a few questions I brought up.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/forum.php

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Great, thanks, guys. I took the engine off the boat, so hopefully it will be an easy fix...

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Easy Fix

There is a threaded couple on the shift rod that is out of adjustment. The rod is separated to drop the lower unit and not installed properly when reassembled. You could have fixed it yourself on the boat but now that it is off take it back to the shop and not only have them fix it but show you how so next time you can take care of it. In fact that is the toughest part of replacing the impellor you can do that yourself as well and save the money for something important like beer.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
There is a threaded couple on the shift rod that is out of adjustment. The rod is separated to drop the lower unit and not installed properly when reassembled. You could have fixed it yourself on the boat but now that it is off take it back to the shop and not only have them fix it but show you how so next time you can take care of it. In fact that is the toughest part of replacing the impellor you can do that yourself as well and save the money for something important like beer.
So to adjust it the lower unit has to come off again?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Adjusting Sift Linkage

To get to the water pump the shift linkage must be disconnected. When it was reattached it was not adjusted correctly (presumably). It is as simple as twisting the barrel nut one way or the other to make the linkage longer or shorter.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Rick is absolutely correct! Don't attempt to adjust anything in the shifter linkage because you are going to mess things up further. There is is shift shaft inside the middle unit housing (between power head & lower unit). The shift shaft connects to a small splined shaft in the lower unit to control forward/neutral/reverse. One of two things happened during reassembly; either the middle unit shift shaft is not properly engaged on the lower unit shift shaft or perhaps the lower unit shift shaft was not in the proper position when it was reassembled. This is an easy fix; don't worry, it doesn't mean that anything is bent or broken. Just take it back to the mechanic. he will have to remove the lower unit again and either adjust the position of the lower unit shifter shaft or make sure that the middle unit shift shaft is properly engaged on the lower unit shifter shaft.

I changed the water pump impeller on my Yamaha 115 two years ago. When I started the engine, I couldn't get it to reverse. As I was removing the lower unit again, I noted that the mid shift shaft wasn't engage on the lower shift shaft. Apparently the shafts disconnected as I was jockeying the lower unit back into place. I simply reconnected the two shafts and was careful to make sure they remained connected when reinstalling the lower unit. Worked like a champ on the second try.

Incidentally, there are several how to videos on you tube if you are inclined to do this yourself. If you have repair manual & watch the videos, this is definitely doable for someone who has average mech. skills. Took me about 3 hours and cost appx $60 for parts.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
So to adjust it the lower unit has to come off again?

on johnson/evenrude yes, the shift rod turns up or down to adjust the length.

merc's I don't remember, but do think they were easier....

*that is until you have to deal with needle bearings on merc's (total pita) ...

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Mercury is the same as Tohatsu. On my Tohatsu 5, which is same as 6, there is a rubber grommet in the side of the shaft housing. Pull that out, and you will be able to see the drive shaft and the shift linkage. There is a screw that clamps the two pieces of the shift linkage shaft together. There is a little bit of play that can also mean the difference between shifting into reverse, or shifting into reverse and having it pop back out again.