No Power to Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
I am starting to feel like a leech since all I have been doing is asking advice but the diesel is new to me!

Last week, I was motoring out to watch the air show in ACNJ and an alarm on the engine panel (M25XPC) sounded. After check of all systems showed that the engine was operating as normal and a few text messages later to the PO and a friend of mine, it was determined that a wire to the oil pressure switch had come off. When I had the chance to check it closer at the dock, i noticed that the connector had actually come off and that the switch needed replacing. I reconnected it using rescue tape and solder so I could get over to the fuel dock for a pump out. The engine started fine and ran normally.

Before I left the marina, I wanted to start the engine to clear out the saltwater and when I turned the key, there was no power to the instrument panel, no buzzer and no cranking. I have good battery current and no breakers had tripped. I also checked the oil pressure switch and it appeared that it was still connected.

Any opinions about what could cause this?:confused: Should I just wait for the part to come in and put it on before I start worrying? I had so many problems with my last engine so I was happy to get one with low hours and in excellent condition so needless to say, I am concerned! Looking at the engine schematic it seems that one of the wires that is involved goes to the key switch (so maybe I am overly worried)

I searched the forums and there wasn't much that I found on this.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It is the fuse on the wire from the start button to the starter solenoid. Look under the alternator, the wire is there with the fuseholder.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4556.0.html

You might also be interested in our Critical Upgrades post: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.15.html

Please, read both pages.

Jack, again, I offer, to all of you with M25 series engines, the C34 Tech wiki and our message board,m with over 20 years of experience with your engine. Read away.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Thanks again Stu. I've been spending a lot of time on the C34 Wiki pages. Sometimes I guess my searches don't have all of the right words.

Hopefully I can get all of this done before Earl gets here in case I need to move.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
New oil switch installed and after hunting high and low for the 20A breaker, I found it, reset it and all is well. Thanks!

The breaker is actually on a mounting bracket near the starter facing aft so I couldn't see it. I just took a deep breath to clear my frustration and decided to systematically trace every wire. It took all of 2 seconds to find it. I am blind sometimes! I even had the wiring diagram for the XPC in front of me and did not see the circuit breaker on there until AFTER I found it one the engine! Doh.:doh:

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Don't feel too bad about that. This summer, I had pulled hoses from the shower sump pump and the pump itself looking for a blockage until I figured out an hour later that it goes out through the head intake which needs to be open of course. I keep it closed generally since I use fresh water in the head to minimize the Bay water criitters stinking up the place. Had I looked in the owner manual, I would hve seen it clearly in the plumbing diagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.