No power AC cabin electric outlets

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Last week up at boat ( 100 miles away) in hurry to get back and beat traffic someone put small reading light next to
port outlet and turned switch to be sure light work. No power. Quick and dirty check no power port and stb
circuits. Breakers all on at AC panel. AC switch on under cockpit locker. Light on AC panel indicating AC
power to panel. On drive back remember our boats have GFIs on outlets. Read owners manual at home stated
reset buttons on outlets. Didn't remember seeing those before. Will give closer inspection next time at
boat but in meantime appreciate any suggestions.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
What do you hope to accomplish in the future? The GFCI is probably right on the device. Look for it and push the "reset button", then trip it with the "test button" the light should come back on. It is probably the same style you have in your home.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It is probably the same style you have in your home.
^^^^++++
It's the only kind I know about if indeed it is a receptacle GFCI.
Are there any otherr receptacle types? I don't think so.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Agree that the GFI might have tripped, but why is the question? Maybe water got in there somehow and caused the GFI to trip. When you go back to the boat make sure you have volt meter or AC test plug with you. A volt meter is preferrable over a test plug. You can see the voltages. You could also have a low voltage that the light will not turn on. I know you said that the indicators on the panel showed on, but...

If you start at the outlet work your way backwards to the panel then to the outside plug. Don't jump around from inside to outside back to inside. Follow the electrical path and test at each connection.

Feb 26, 2004
Agree that the GFI might have tripped, but why is the question?
Very good question. Here's what happened to me in 2016:

The A.C. power went out to the outlet in the galley and the microwave. I mentioned it and Morgan said his outlet had stopped working, too. I had originally thought of having to take the galley outlet apart. But then I realized that when we first got the boat I had installed a GFI outlet in Morgan’s cabin. I hopped up and pressed the Test and then the Reset buttons and we’re back in business, no fuss, no muss. Morgan saved me a lot of unnecessary work. He said he could well have inadvertently pushed the test button, since he spends a lot of time in his cabin.

• Helpful

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
They are are household style GFI outlets in my 310, easy to test and reset next time you go out. Easy to replace from home improvement store stock items if they are bad.

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Clydo, Stu may be on to something. I remember having the same issue maybe 10 years ago and the fix was resetting all the GFI outlets. I think the one in the aft birth was the culprit.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
remember you have 2 gfi's on the 310 I have 1 by the nav table the other is for a microwave.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
on hull 218, there is a gfci in the aft galley upper cabinet, which feeds power to the remaining outlets down stream.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
First of all, the panel light may indicate the presence of power but does not indicate voltage, make sure you are getting 110-120V from shore power. GFCI receptacles do go bad and Outlets Panel Switches do go bad. The fact that both STB. and Port circuits are down shows it could be the panel switch. If you have power beyond the panel switch then unplug everything and reset the GFCI. If it trips with nothing plugged in I would replace the GFCI which should be the first receptacle of each circuit nearest the panel. If it does not trip, start plugging appliances one at a time and turn them on and off to look for the culprit.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If possible, put in a second breaker and GFCI so if one blows, you still have one. My B323 was OEM wired with two cables to the breaker, so it was easy to add a second breaker. Half the boat worked off one breaker, the other half, another breaker.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@leo310 That may be because you have two separate AC circuits.

One GFCI for each circuit. The GFCI affects all pugs on a given circuit. Most often placed at the plug closest to water exposure in a house. On a boat, which has ben previously owned it is always a mystery what a previous owner installed or how they chose to install it. Note that @Stu Jackson wisely placed a GFCI near where his son, with the electrical gadgets, would be staying aboard. Wise to protect the boat, but it could have been a headache if he tried to rewire the boat due to a forgotten GFCI plug.

It might be a reasonable idea as we prep to get ready for spring to take a look at our boat wiring fixtures, if it has been a bit of time since we mapped out what and where everything is located.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
The GFI's were installed by Catalina and yes I have 2 AC circuits 1 for the port side the other starboard.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Have you located all GFCI receptacles? Each circuit (STB and Port) should have its own GFCI receptacle which should act independently. Both circuits should be fed from the breaker switch in the panel (Outlets). There are GFCI switches in the market that do not have receptacles, they are mostly use in hot tubs; I once seen a boat owner wire one to protect two separate circuits. There are also owners which will wire down stream GFCI receptacles. Get a wiring diagram and follow the wiring to determine what you got and where.

Feb 26, 2004
One GFCI for each circuit. :yikes: ................... On a boat, which has been previously owned it is always a mystery what a previous owner installed or how they chose to install it. Note that @Stu Jackson wisely placed a GFCI near where his son, with the electrical gadgets, would be staying aboard.
Some minor but important comments:
1. One GFCI for each circuit. That's one way. See below.
2. A GFCI only protects what is downstream of it, as I understand it. See below.
3. ...wisely placed... Not so, as I understand it. We have ONE AC power circuit on our boat. However, it splits from the panel and one BRANCH of the circuit goes south and one goes north. Morgan's GFCI is there because it is the first receptacle on that branch of the wiring. The other branch has its own GFCI. But all on ONE power circuit.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
first thing i would check would be the little portable lamp. you sure it's good. just saying

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If both circuits are dead I would look for another source of the problem besides the GFCI interrupters for each circuit. Chances that both would trip simultaneously are not very good. Check the voltage at the point where it exits the panel breaker switch as it flows into the two circuits; should be 120V + or -.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
on hull 218, there is a gfci in the aft galley upper cabinet, which feeds power to the remaining outlets down stream.
Mystery solved. Warren at Catalina factory thought gfci for this model was in head. But you my friend I owe steak dinner
next time you are in San Francisco Bay Area. Had checked head before but no luck. With your info opened cabinet
moved some stuff and sure enough small gfci in upper left rear corner. Had put bunch of stuff there when bought boat and some
never needed so didn't really notice it. Pushed button and power both P &S outlets. Good feeling right Stu.
Thanks to all for great suggestions really appreciate it.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Kudos Clyde!
Bravo-Zulu Valcour!

I love it when SBO members have the answers.