No Pop Top

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich

I took a look at a 1984 Catalina 25 today. Everything about the boat seemed to be exactly what I was looking for (including the price) with one exception: it was NOT a pop-top model. I'm pretty short. I can almost stand up in the cabin, but not quite. I think I could live with it. I sort of feel like I'm not going to be doing much in the cabin except sleeping, and I don't need to stand for that. The only time I can forsee not regretting it would be trying to cook at the galley in the rain. For that, hoever, I think I could just rig a tarp over the boom and keep the companionway open. I've heard that non-pop-top models fon't sell easily at all. Is there any truth to this rumor or was it just a line handed to someone from a broker trying to sell a pop-top model on hand? -Rich.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Try the C25 Association

Rich They'll be bale to help. We used our pop top at anchor more than anything else, with the enclosure. If you're not planning on anchoring a lot, you really don't need one. Of course, six and a half years ago we sold our C25 and i still have the C25 "stoop!" Stu

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
C25 Pop-Top

We had our C25 for 16 years. In that time I probably raised the Pop-Top maybe 6 times. I was also told by the dealer at the time we ordered our boat that the Pop-Top models sell better, so that we should get the option for that reason alone. Personally, I think it's one of those features that a person looking to buy a boat sometimes thinks they need, but find out later that it really isn't necessary. This of course depends on your cruising style. We usually only go below to cook, sleep or? On the other hand, we knew some owners that used to Pop whenever they overnighted. You do get a little extra shelf space under the perimeter of the top when it's raised and you use the canvas enclosure BTW- I'm 5' 11"

Status
Not open for further replies.