No longer a newbie. Catalina 18 coastal sailing question.

Nov 25, 2022
Catalina Capri 18 Lake Champlain
Hello Sailors!

I posted in the forum the winter of 2022-2023. Back then I acquired a lovely Catalina 18, built in 1993. (I am the third owner. The second owner never sailed it.) I got the boat in November 2022. At that time I posted as a newbie with a bunch of (probably stupid and naïve) questions. By now, we had a great season (despite the very rainy summer in the Northeast) on Lake Champlain (Mostly the south part). We are planning a few more overnight trips before the season ends. During this time, we got familiar with the boat and had a great time learning the ropes...ups. sorry, learning the LINES of sailing hands-on on which included a few scary incidents for which we are grateful. By now, I am completely addicted..and my appetite has grown. So far I feel that sailing is the only thing that gets you the closest (at least in the phenomenological sense) to what can be called freedom.
Thus my question. Does anyone have experience of coastal sailing (meaning not in-land lakes/rivers) with Catalina 18? I do understand it is not a blue water boat, thats why I am specifically referring to "coastal sailing." Next season we are thinking of trailing the boat down south to South Long Island and from there making a loop (or just up and down) around the coast of Long Island, and then trailing the boat back to Lake Champlain. Would anyone have any advice on coast-sailing Long Island with a small 18ft boat or similar? E.g. specifically updating the standing and running rigging, updating the cabin (Installing fresh water and grey water tanks), getting essential navigation equipment, or registering/taking courses with the Coast Gueard etc... Any ideas or advice would be very helpful.

Thank you all in advance. I am sorry about the long post.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome to the poor side of town.

Next season we are thinking of taking the boat down Champlain Canal to Hudson and down to NYC harbor and from there making a loop (or just up and down) around the coast of Long Island, and then getting back to Lake Champlain.
That sounds like a trip and a half. Make sure you take a camera with you.

Sorry, but I'm from the salty Wet Coast so can offer little information or advice except GO FOR IT :clap: !

Nov 25, 2022
Thank you, Ralph!

Yes, we started documenting our little trips recently and thinking of putting up a website where we will upload our stories. Mostly videos. And thank you very much for your support.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

Sounds like your having a great time with your boat!

Most people I know would trailer the boat south to the Long Island sound, spend time sailing to various locations in the sound, and then trailer it back north.

I am NOT an expert on the Hudson river, but I am sure you would have to spend a lot of time motoring in the river. The trip around Manhattan would be 'interesting' as that is a very crowded body of water. A trip in the east river would REQUIRE you to time the tides correctly otherwise you might be sailing backwards!

Once you are out of Lake Champlain you won't need a gray water tank, as that water can be discharged overboard. You will need a holding tank for your head and you need to empty that at a pump out station. Navigation would be pretty simple - any modern phone or tablet with GPS would be more than sufficient.

Good Luck!

Barry

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Glad you are enjoying the boat and loving sailing.

Coastal sailing in an 18' boat of any kind on the south shore of Long Island is a really great way to lose your boat if you are luck and don't lose your life too. The only way in or out of the ocean is through notorious inlets, such as Fire Island, Rockaway, Jones inlet and a couple of more. The shoals are shifty, the seas build quickly and you could easily be swamped. Once in the bays inside the inlets you will be devoured by green biting horse flies.

Places worth exploring, the Maine Coast, the Canadian Thousand Island Parks, and the Chesapeake to name a few relatively close by destinations. Not ocean, but interesting places for a small trailer sailer.

Nov 25, 2022
Glad you are enjoying the boat and loving sailing.

Coastal sailing in an 18' boat of any kind on the south shore of Long Island is a really great way to lose your boat if you are luck and don't lose your life too.

Thank you! :))) Here it is, I am still a newbie! I got a few messages already. Very helpful. Radically changing my next year plan. I think sticking to Long Island Sound. Trailering the boat instead of the Chaplain Canal-Hudson-NYC route.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Cruising the north side of Long Island (the Sound) would be a lot safer and more fun. Lots of places to pull-in to and you could hug the coastline.

Oct 31, 2022
Catalina Capri 22 Huntington
I dream to sail/motor down the Hudson some day. . If you can do it I say go for it for sure. Its got to be a fun adventure. I live in Huntington on the North Coast of Long Island and sail my Capri 22 in Huntington and Northport bays, and just a little bit in the sound so far. As @dmax said there are plenty of really nice harbors to pull into for anchorage or mooring on both the Long Island coast and Connecticut coast. Do some research on when to pass through the New York City. The tides run like wild there and if you do not plan accordingly (moving with the tide) your not going to go anywhere, maybe even backwards. If your 18 is anything like my 22 it should be perfectly seaworthy for the Long Island Sound.